Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: red velvet cake

My last meal request would be a generous piece of red velvet cake with cream frosting.........

I've always wondered what it was too, and the couple times I've tried it, it was nasty...

so I started looking it up. Its actually not a chocolate cake with red food coloring. It usually calls for cocoa (some recipes are just a yellow cake with red dye) in varying amounts but its not just a chocolate cake thats dyed red, it has its own flavor they say. Some recipes call for just a teaspoon of cocoa.

I've only tried grocery store versions, which is probably why it was always nasty.

Most recipes for red velvet cake call for cocoa in amounts ranging from an insignificant teaspoon to a serious half-cup, like the one by Elisa Strauss, who bakes cakes to order on the Upper West Side and whose “Confetti Cakes Cookbook” is to be published this spring by Little, Brown.

“The cake is neither chocolate nor vanilla,” said Lisa Hall, an owner of Kitchenette, a cafe and bakery that makes red velvet cakes and cupcakes at its locations in TriBeCa and on the Upper West Side. “It’s Southern and moist and comfort food. People love it, and I don’t understand why.”
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Somewhere I have the original recipe.....and it does only call for a couple of tablespoons of cocoa. The frosting is started on the stove with.....I think flour and cream....and then of course the philly cheese and sugar. Not sickening sweet if I remember right. The cake had a hint of cocoa, was very moist and it was done in four layers. I just remember it was good and had a taste all it's own.

(In a Joan Rivers-style delivery) You're over forty fucking years old and don't know what Red Velvet cake is?

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    Somewhere I have the original recipe.....and it does only call for a couple of tablespoons of cocoa. The frosting is started on the stove with.....I think flour and cream....and then of course the philly cheese and sugar. Not sickening sweet if I remember right. The cake had a hint of cocoa, was very moist and it was done in four layers. I just remember it was good and had a taste all it's own.
    Mouth watering............dark cocoa to meld with the creamy frosting.
    More complex when made well than the name implies...........