Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red velvet cake

red velvet cake

what is it. My sister in law brought me a dozen of red velvet cupcakes and they were pretty killer but even she didn't know how they came to be. I asked my sister and she said its a chocolate cake with red coloring added to it, is this right. Its a silly question but I really want to know.

Yup, that is what it is! Tons of red food coloring!!!!

Chocolate cupcakes...YUM!! I want one!

That's exactly right. It's a chocolate cake with red coloring. The best ones are the ones that have homemade, creme cheese icing on top. Now I'm hungry!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

WoW, thanks ladies, I had no idea, I guess my sister was right.

Exactly, 2 ounces in a regular cake. You really need to buy the one ounce bottles of just red, it takes too many of the little bottles that come in the 4 pack. (I think they are only 1/4 ounce, which means you would need 8 of them!) I am too lazy to type in the one from my cookbook, but it is similar to this one. Which even has pictures.
    Last edited by sjean423; 02-04-2009 at 12:35 AM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Fancy but mostly JUST words

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    what is it. My sister in law brought me a dozen of red velvet cupcakes and they were pretty killer but even she didn't know how they came to be. I asked my sister and she said its a chocolate cake with red coloring added to it, is this right. Its a silly question but I really want to know.
    -------------------------------------
    Dear WTF-

In short you are correct. Chocolate Cake with food coloring. It is a chef using a $5 word to sell a $4 cup cake that costs $0.25 to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    Yup, that is what it is! Tons of red food coloring!!!!

Chocolate cupcakes...YUM!! I want one!

I hate to sound rude or crude but "Tons of red food coloring!!!!" is a slight understatement. Your bowel program will surely be techno color, especially with grape nehi soda.
    If you ever have a bake sale the two quickest sellers 1) Pineapple Upside Down Cake 2) Velvet Cake, last seller oatmeal rasin cookies.

Hello! How many chocolate confections from the supermarket bakery really taste like chocolate?

I've stopped getting anything there cause it all tastes a lot more like sugar than anything else. Pissing disgusting. The cheap pricks opt for an overpowering, habituated sweetness as that's a lot cheaper than actually adding enough of any quality flavoring like strawberries, vanilla or chocolate. And look for the walnuts in those walnut muffins. Get ready to count them on the fingers of one hand. With fingers left over; at least one - I make it the middle one and raise to to them.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    Hello! How many chocolate confections from the supermarket bakery really taste like chocolate?

I've stopped getting anything there cause it all tastes a lot more like sugar than anything else. Pissing disgusting. The cheap pricks opt for an overpowering, habituated sweetness as that's a lot cheaper than actually adding enough of any quality flavoring like strawberries, vanilla or chocolate. And look for the walnuts in those walnut muffins. Get ready to count them on the fingers of one hand. With fingers left over; at least one - I make it the middle one and raise to to them.
    we or i should say my caregiver does i have taught them how to make fudge cookies from scratch brownies everything from scratch. still having a problem with bread we keep killing the yeast.

I would say that red velvet cakes are really delicious and my kids actually love it, you can also try making one, there are some easy and quick cake recipe's
    Last edited by Nathan Willow; 01-23-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: remove the link

And maybe this isn't really dessert conversation, but don't freak out if your bowel program looks very different than normal. NL and I were served huge slices of Red Velvet Cake at a dinner party and we dutifully (gosh it was difficult) ate it all. The next night I had a bowel program and NL couldn't figure out why my stool looked sooooo very odd. Yes, you guessed it...red food coloring in the red velvet cake. Next bowel program all was back to normal.

Inquiring minds might like to know.

All the best,
    GJ