Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good credit card for someone with no credit?

What's a good credit card for someone with no credit?

Right now I just use a debit card, but I'd like to build some credit or maybe even get some rewards. I have a cc now but I don't think it offers very good rewards. What's out there for young guys like me?
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

How young are you?

I started with an AMEX student card in '98 (I was 18) w/ a $200 limit.

I'll turn 29 this year. To this day, that card is the only credit card I've ever had. It's now an AMEX Blue. The limit is well over $20k now w/ an APR still under 10% & no annual fee. AMEX has been a great company to go through. No, they're not accepted everywhere, but if you don't have $ in a bank account to use via debit every so often, you shouldn't be racking up charges on credit anyway.

Rewards are overrated; quality customer service & protection are much better perks, IMO.

I got a student Capital One CC when I turned 18 and to this day I have it. I also got my auto loan for my truck from Capital One a few years later because my credit was so good with Capital One. I currently do not use it, but it has close to a 20K limit on it now. It does not have the 10% interest Scott's AMEX card has that's for sure. Scott, how does your interest rate stay so low?

You also might want to check with Wells Fargo. They offered me a student card last summer with a $1200 limit. I never use it, but it's my just in case card. The interest rate is lower, it protects my checkings if I were to over draft (never happen with me) it would take out from that CC, besides others incentives that I can't think of right now cause I never use the card.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

I started w/Am Ex too
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
    Scott, how does your interest rate stay so low?
    Dunno. I pay my bill on time. That's about all I do. It must be the type of card.

It's like 9.9%, still under 10 though.

Kristi, since it sounds like your credit is pretty good, you should be able to shop around and find a card w/ a low rate. And then a lot of people have had good results calling their card company, and getting the rate lowered, so that they won;t switch. (Me, I just switched.) We have 2 visa cards, both with rates around 10ish. THey are w/ credit unions. I found them to have the best rates around here.

To the op, my son got his first card w/ amex too. A low max ($200) I think, but w/ good payment history, they kept raising it. He is still in school, and the max is $2K now I think. He found the big thing with them is you had to have SOME income, they denied him the 1st time, then approved it when he started a work study job (10 hours a week or so ..... certainly not big bucks.)

If you already have one card, you should be able to apply for another. But the rewards don;t mean much, if you are using them all up paying interest fees!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

sj - I actually have a new card with 0% interest for a year. That totally rocks. I do need to call Capital One and either cancel the card or get a lower interest rate since I am not using it at all. I'm being really good though with either paying with a debit card or in cash as of late.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

If you don;t use it, and are keeping it as an emergency sort of card, it really isn;t a big deal what the rate isl 17% of 0 is still 0. Wouldn;t hurt tho to try and lower it.

Good thing too of course, is to try and pay off your balance every month, then you aren;t paying any interest either. Because that eats up any rewards you might be getting and more.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Kristi, don't close the credit card account that can actually lower your credit score. If you don't use it just cut the card up but don't close the account.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    How young are you?

I started with an AMEX student card in '98 (I was 18) w/ a $200 limit.

I'll turn 29 this year. To this day, that card is the only credit card I've ever had. It's now an AMEX Blue. The limit is well over $20k now w/ an APR still under 10% & no annual fee. AMEX has been a great company to go through. No, they're not accepted everywhere, but if you don't have $ in a bank account to use via debit every so often, you shouldn't be racking up charges on credit anyway.

Rewards are overrated; quality customer service & protection are much better perks, IMO.
    I'll be 23 in March. My father has used AMEX for a long time and he always uses it unless he can't.

Right now I don't actually feel the need to pay for things with credit. I have a checking account and receive my ssdi each month. I don't use my entire check usually so I am trying to save. The reason I haven't really used a credit card is I don't need to, but I know I'll need credit.

Scott, doesn't AMEX have a good rewards program though?