Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating for the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino View Post
    Juke, you didn't answer my question but I'm assuming from subsequent posts that you're not advocating the whole world goes veggie?
    No but assuming I did where do you get that it would result in significant poor heath/death or even in any decline in the nutritional well being of any? You surely know someone that's veggie or vegan and is robustly healthy and if not I can point you to members of the CCC and whole societies where the average per-capita cases of illness are small fractions of what they are in your country or mine. Dude, get a grip.

And you're ill informed on the completeness of plant protein:
    The answer is the Chia Chia Seed.
    This seed is unique among seeds for many reasons, all of which are beneficial to you! First off, by weight, the chia seed is 23% complete protein. Complete protein is difficult to come by in the plant world, and most people get their daily amount from animal meat. Vegetarians routinely mix together incomplete protein food sources in order to meet protein needs.
    This good link goes into some of what's wrong with soy although you might profit hormonally with that beard of your if you'd include a good part of your meals supplemented with soy foods.

http://www.articlealley.com/article_...627250_26.html
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 02-05-2009 at 02:21 AM.

I eat steak because it tastes delicious. I just ate a hamburger. I also eat out of my own garden all summer. I think the key to health and everything else is moderation. Excess, waste, and greed ruin our world in all aspects.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by BigK View Post
    Stop Global Whining!
    Not very well thought out.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...26724&src=news

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...26724&src=news

The lower on the food chain we eat the less resources it takes to provide ourselves with food. Feeding grain to cattle (along with steroids, growth hormones and antibiotics) takes and enormous amount of grain to produce one pound of edible (?) meat. I am not some sort of veggie evangelist or anything, but I have often thought how we dupe ourselves into eating meat by having it called something other than it really is. Only the lowly chicken and fish are called by their correct names, while we pretty up the cow image by calling it beef, the pig by calling it pork. Nice sanitized packaging in supermarkets with any evidence of the fact that this was once a living sentinent being is another form of deception that increases sales. I have a feeling that if most of us were given a knife and told to kill the cow, pig, lamb, whatever, we would suddenly turn to other items in our diet pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Only the lowly chicken and fish are called by their correct names, while we pretty up the cow image by calling it beef, the pig by calling it pork. Nice sanitized packaging in supermarkets with any evidence of the fact that this was once a living sentinent being is another form of deception that increases sales.
    If peoples were not eating cows and pigs the cows and pigs would not have had a life at all, right. Thus eating them helps them have a life, straightforward logic. And this in fact proves that disillusioned Juke and Co. does not care about animals; they are just in the discussions for their personal humane hoopla PR., kind of. Pun intended Juke.
    I have a feeling that if most of us were given a knife and told to kill the cow, pig, lamb, whatever, we would suddenly turn to other items in our diet pretty quickly.
    Oh, that is not just a feeling though, I think you are quite right. Ever wonder why so few become fishermen and farmers? The answer is simple, like not all have what it takes to become a fisherman, most will be seasick and start to cry even before the boat set sail from the pier. And how about the farmers during the calving time and all of the other hard work at the farm? Most will just start to cry as for this as well. Long before one discuss to give them a knife to kill. I think the coffee latte folks for sure would starve to death if it were not for fishermen and farmers doing all the hard work for them, any can make green tea, but that’s not enough. Aside, most can become fishermen and farmers if they work really hard to become one, work on their issues and act like grownups, instead of having a bunch of excuses due to laziness. And instead of blaming food producers, name it cow or beef, one should support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    No but assuming I did where do you get that it would result in significant poor heath/death or even in any decline in the nutritional well being of any? You surely know someone that's veggie or vegan and is robustly healthy and if not I can point you to members of the CCC and whole societies where the average per-capita cases of illness are small fractions of what they are in your country or mine. Dude, get a grip.

And you're ill informed on the completeness of plant protein:
    This good link goes into some of what's wrong with soy although you might profit hormonally with that beard of your if you'd include a good part of your meals supplemented with soy foods.

http://www.articlealley.com/article_...627250_26.html
    I'm not talking your country or mine, I mean globally. Stop assuming you know my position. I know vegetarian or vegan diets can be very healthy and I actually agree with much of your stance on resources.

If you want a debate stop trying to Google-educate anyone you suspect of disagreeing with your position.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

If you want a debate stop trying to Google-educate anyone you suspect of disagreeing with your position.
    Agree, lock this thread too RR. Lock Wise Young’s as well with all the google references Wise puts into posts, now, would you dare to do that? Looneybird.

I know vegetarian or vegan diets can be very healthy
    If you know people who's diets are the 2 Vs can be very healthy then why did you just say:

A vegetarian only world is simply crazy and would lead to death, disease and a global economic collapse worse than that we are currently experiencing.
    I'm looking for any sensible input but try to be coherent. You agree with much of my stance, "and I actually agree with much of your stance on resources." but make your livelihood by helping the corporations keep the western world's populations deluded as to their true natures and focused on living up to the consumer goofy goals they delude then into wanting? Or how do you see what you work at for $$$ aside from the occasional effort for Green Peace?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Be sensible now

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    I'm looking for any sensible input but try to be coherent. You agree with much of my stance, "and I actually agree with much of your stance on resources." but make your livelihood by helping the corporations keep the western world's populations deluded as to their true natures and focused on living up to the consumer goofy goals they delude then into wanting? Or how do you see what you work at for $$$ aside from the occasional effort for Green Peace?
    Juke. Were all hookers by trade. But that has zero to do with you wanting all to eat grass. Like you want us all back to San Francisco smoking pot singing love songs like in the sixties – meanwhile the sane ones makes the earth move on. Really? For information, these days what you suggest and cling on is named laziness. If not in agreement to this, post what you do each week as for you’re hard labour to save this planet (meaning off course not what you put in you’re face each week). Can you post such or will you reply with attacks on the friendly person asking these important questions (me).

Leif,
    I am not sure a veal calf, separated from its mother, and confined to a 4X3 crate and fed a diet specifically formulated to make the calf anemic (why the meat is so tender) would be thanking anyone for its very short and miserable life. They get so desperate they lick the iron bars in their cages because they are starving for decent nutrition, and they are essentially intentionally crippled by their tiny crates so that they do not (can not) use any of their muscles to move, creating the tender meat that people crave but seldom know how it is obtained.