Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eating for the planet.

Input: "If you're talking about a hyopthetical, idealistic world where the economies affected by fishing and farming don't count then fine. If not, you're stupendously naive."

I never said everyone should eat veggie or vegan; that's a choice you've got as an option in a culture where you're surrounded by inducements to eat animals and sugar junk and highly processed and adulterated foods. It's hard and not very realistic to entreat people to eat a diet so radically different from what they've been accustomed to all their lives. Rome wasn't built in a day and the "Journey of a 1000 miles starts with the first step.".

To repeat myself from earlier in the thread, I'm neither veggie nor vegan. If we tip our diets in the direction of the Vs; away from those foods that necessitate killing poorly kept animals and absorbing huge planetary resources we improve the chances of people surviving and thriving on the planet. Earth winks at us.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 02-09-2009 at 03:35 AM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    Input: "If you're talking about a hyopthetical, idealistic world where the economies affected by fishing and farming don't count then fine. If not, you're stupendously naive."

I never said everyone should eat veggie or vegan; that's a choice you've got as an option in a culture where you're surrounded by inducements to eat animals and sugar junk and highly processed and adulterated foods. It's hard and not very realistic to entreat people to eat a diet so radically different from what they've been accustomed to all their lives. Rome wasn't built in a day and the "Journey of a 1000 miles starts with the first footstep.".
    I now accept you didn't, but I wasn't sure from your OP, that's why I asked you to clarify it.

I know you won't believe me because you seem to make judgements based on who you think I am but I think we are closer in agreement than you think on this topic.

I'm not a vegetarian but I totally agree that people are blindly conditioned to their meat rich diets and that the food industry requires radical change. This will only happen when consumers demand change.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino View Post
    I now accept you didn't, but I wasn't sure from your OP, that's why I asked you to clarify it.

I know you won't believe me because you seem to make judgements based on who you think I am but I think we are closer in agreement than you think on this topic.

I'm not a vegetarian but I totally agree that people are blindly conditioned to their meat rich diets and that the food industry requires radical change. This will only happen when consumers demand change.
    If you can respond like this is a benign question: then are you at the nutritional responsibility chin music stage of dietary evolution?
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino View Post
    I've spent the past 2 years spending around 60 per cent of my time working on a project on sustainable food sourcing involving the UN, WWF and Greenpeace. Oh, I earned money working on it.
    You f@#king sell-out!

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Money is bad for you, Rhino. It's unconscionable that you would accept it for work better offered up pro bono. How do you sleep at night??

Because I am a philanthropist, and dammit, I CARE- I will accept some of the burden of excess cash, should it grow too heavy for you to bear.

When you speak of this in future years-and you will-Be kind.

Topic, people? I can give Rhino all the prickles he needs.

Paul, I mean it about the Q being benign.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Payback. Guess I'll have to wait.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    If you can respond like this is a benign question: then are you at the nutritional responsibility chin music stage of dietary evolution?
    Sorry. Not payback, just busy.

Do you mean my question is benign or yours?

Whichever - I am at a relatively basic stage personally. My eating habits, both nutritionally and ethically, have always been a bit erratic. I'm trying to change that.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."