Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating for the planet.

Arrow Eating for the planet.

Anyone?

So I'll start off:

1. Earth's people food sources/resources are strained and, in many places, failing.

2. When we eat vegetarian or vegan we take only a small percentage of the food resources from the planet that we take when we eat animal flesh. We get to know that we are doing our small part to help see the human experiment on Earth turn out successfully.

As one young CCCer I admire put it, "You feel incredibly smug." and while I can't quite join in either the veganism or smugness he indulges, I can see, appreciate and respect where he's coming from. I can't get into the smugness for a perspective that's steeped in a knowledge of the urgency with which we, the humans abiding on and husbanding the resources of the earth, need to adopt what amounts to a conservative attitude and outlook where our eating is concerned. I can reflect that future generations looking back on this period will likely weigh differently the ideas of who was behaving admirably and who wasn't.

3._ _ _ ______________?

4._ _ _ _ _ _?
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 02-09-2009 at 06:55 PM.

3- There's no shortage of food in this world. Only a money inbalance and a food distribution problem that's easily fixable... with money.

Eat whatcha want.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Removed comment..don't want to detract from thread.
    Last edited by Rbrauer; 02-03-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: because
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Probably could have fed the entire world with what was spent on commercials Sunday.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Juke, I agree with you. I gave up all mammal eating about twenty years ago specifically because of the amount of grain it takes to feed just one measly cow, grain that could be used to feed a lot of the world's starving people. Then, of course, the methane produced by animal food factories is a huge contributor to global warming, as is the runoff from those factories that ends up in water supplies. Between the growth hormones and the antibiotics that are being fed to cattle, sheep, pigs and so on we are doing a horrible job of polluting our environment, and possibly even creating or contributing to antibiotic resistance in the human population. I don't really feel "smug" about my decision, but I will admit that it is nice to know my carbon footprint is pretty small compared to other peoples, and that another mammal didn't have to die so that I could eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Juke, I agree with you. I gave up all mammal eating about twenty years ago specifically because of the amount of grain it takes to feed just one measly cow, grain that could be used to feed a lot of the world's starving people. Then, of course, the methane produced by animal food factories is a huge contributor to global warming, as is the runoff from those factories that ends up in water supplies. Between the growth hormones and the antibiotics that are being fed to cattle, sheep, pigs and so on we are doing a horrible job of polluting our environment, and possibly even creating or contributing to antibiotic resistance in the human population. I don't really feel "smug" about my decision, but I will admit that it is nice to know my carbon footprint is pretty small compared to other peoples, and that another mammal didn't have to die so that I could eat.
    Very nice, Eileen.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I think it is very admirable to not eat meat on idealogical grounds, I dont think it is necessarily healthier though. Humans evolved as carnivores not herbivores, it is natural and healthy for us to eat other animals. Animals that are exclusively herbivores include, Pandas, Sloths, Koalas and Cows. Not exactly the high acheivers of the animal kingdom.

Pros and Cons, people! If you're posting in the later category at least try aiming higher. So far the posturing and reasoning from the naysayers is sad or clown-worthy.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Our brains are what they are because of animal protein.
    http://www.iianthropology.org/JayThorley
    Plant sources of protein are always
    incomplete sources of protein. They lack all the essential amino acids. The only way to
    make them complete is to introduce another food containing the missing amino acids into
    the meal. Animal protein on the other hand is always complete and always contains all
    and usually a much higher concentration of the necessary amino acids for the body to
    grow and develop.
    The amino acids in animal protein are much more useful to humans. Scientists have
    studied the bodies. ability to make use of the amino acids found in many protein sources.
    Proteins are rated on a scale of 1 . 100 (the latter being the best) to determine their B.V.
    (biological value) First, on the list scoring a perfect 100 is egg whites from chickens. The
    vast majority of all other animal derived protein sources fall in closely. Protein sources
    from plants then show up on the list behind all animal protein sources. This is due to
    substances in the legumes that cause them to pass through the digestive system without
    allowing the protein to be absorbed. The inability of our body to digest the protein makes
    it completely useless many times.
    Protein was necessary for humans to grow, become stronger and more able to work, and
    to increase the size and ability of vital organs. Without protein the progression and
    evolution would have ceased. Primates in many parts of the world had begun eating and
    benefiting from protein coming from plants. However, in order to achieve the complete
    benefits of protein a complete and more useable protein source was necessary. Animal
    protein was the answer.

The argument is not that simple.

Vegetarianism or veganism is a personal choice but it isn't a panacea for the sustainability of the planet. Are you arguing that no-one on earth eating meat at all is the way forward or does the 'conservative attitude' you mention simply mean taking a wider responsibility about where we source our meat and fish?

A vegetarian only world is simply crazy and would lead to death, disease and a global economic collapse worse than that we are currently experiencing.

We are carnivores, part of the food chain. The problem is that we take too much, farm or harvest it unethically (something which affects the food eaten by the two Vs as well) mistreat animals and pump them, or the meat they provide, full of chemicals.

The food and drink industry in general has many shocking secrets and consumer awareness and demand for change is the way forward. This is slowly happening in some countries but the apathy of the masses is astonishing.

It is heartening to see stories of people growing their own vegetables or rearing their own animals when money is scarce but this is, sadly, dwarfed by the fact that McDonald's profits are up due to the poorer end of society eating there more often to save money.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."