Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel By Train

Travel By Train

Anyone have recent experience traveling by train in the U.S.? I would like to book a compartment for two persons for an over night or longer excursion.

Any info will be helpful.

Sincerely,
    Lionel Trane
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    Anyone have recent experience traveling by train in the U.S.? I would like to book a compartment for two persons for an over night or longer excursion.

Any info will be helpful.

Sincerely,
    Lionel Trane
    I never traveled by train in USA....Maybe other cc members can give you more info.Here is a funny pic regarding traveling by train in romania....damn they were all dead drunk .lol
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

How long of a trip are you looking to do and what origin/destination? Amtrak, US passenger rail, is very friendly to wheelchair users. Most trains, but not all stations, allow for access to the lower level of the car with great window views.

For short trips, lower level coach works well for you and another person. However, I don't know how restroom accommodations are. On longer distances, a sleeper is available with two beds and an accessible toilet.

If you have specific questions, please ask, information is also available on Amtrak's web site or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Have never tried this with a chair. Here is the info from the Amtrak website. If your transfers are pretty easy, this should be workable, although I certainly would want more details about the "accessible" toilet facilities. You cannot go to other parts of the train (such as the observation or dining car) though.

http://amtrak.railagent.com/Traininf...dations_amtrak

Here are some more photos. I am not sure if the availability of this exists on all routes. Again, probably would need to talk to Amtrak people directly:

http://www.rollingrains.com/archives/000992.html

Does not look like it would be possible to use a lift, raised toilet seat, or an over-toilet commode chair though.

(KLD)

Little off topic..

I went on a trip when I was younger with my parents on a train (pre-sci) and didn't have any problems. It seems like now I get motion sickness very easily. Those of you that have been on one can you tell you are moving? I don't remember my experience much. It would be fun to go again.

Is there any reason why I get motion sickness so easy now??
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

For passengers in sleeping cars, meals are included. As KLD pointed out, car transfers aren't possible, but your car attendant would bring your meal to you. You would need to ask when in coach and pay for the meal.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I haven't traveled cross-country by train but I did experience this train ride last summer: http://www.royalgorgeroute.com/ If you're visiting CO I would recommend it. Everything was fairly accessible except the restroom so plan accordingly.

The thing I do remember about train travel pre-sci and post is that it's more expensive than I would've thought. Not sure if that's changed or not but given cost and limited access I'd probably travel via an alternate mode unless the trip was special for some reason.

Waza - Let us know what you find out and your experience I'd like to hear your feedback. Where are you going?

I went from San Diego t philly and back by train with two little ones. boy would I have loved to have had one of those little rooms. it was years before my accident. what a trip. I liked it. it takes a while, but Id do it again because their is nothing like really getting to see things like colorado, pass by. it is really cool watching the world go by from a train. yes, I liked it.

I was also able to find several discounts offered, and that made the trip about 300.00 coach. some months offer travel specials. I brought a lot of my own food,and drink boxes, because the dining care is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Little off topic..

I went on a trip when I was younger with my parents on a train (pre-sci) and didn't have any problems. It seems like now I get motion sickness very easily. Those of you that have been on one can you tell you are moving? I don't remember my experience much. It would be fun to go again.

Is there any reason why I get motion sickness so easy now??
    Not sure but I get motion sick very quickly now in cabs and buses. Prone to it pre sci, just happens a lot faster now.