Thread: Funding Idea for SCI Research

Funding Idea for SCI Research

I believe the greatest asset the sci community has for raising funds is through Chris Reeve, obviously because he is a household name, before his accident and even more today. Since CR is an actor and director, why couldn't a movie be written and filmed with profits all going towards a cure ( we only need 10 billion )
    With help from fellow actors who could donate their time the film could be done on a low budget. If the movie was distributed worldwide, I could see the goal of maybe not 10 billion, but it could generate a rather substanial amount. Along with all the other funding events from all of the SCI organizations, collaboration could reach the 10 billion mark.

Great idea! I saw a movie on the weekend. As it was a dvd it had a special director's commentary. The movie was filmed in 17 days and all the actors did it without being paid. I think they were to be paid after it was finished. Everything was done to ensure minimal costs.

It was by no means a second rate movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it and had no idea that it cost such a small amount to film. It had a budget of 1 million dollars. This is nothing in Hollywood.

I think that you should write to CR foundation with your idea.

The dvd I watched on the weekend was called "Side-walks of New York". Try & get it out. Great flick.

Another idea is a telethon similar to the one Jerry Lewis does for muscular dystrophy. The public is becoming increasingly more aware of spinal cord injuries and Christopher Reeve is already the unofficial spokesperson. I'm sure many actors and athletes and others in a position to help would be willing to be a part of a possible cure. Just a thought this is my first post and I love the site.
    Jason

I never really thought about the dvd sales, I was just thinking proceeds from the theaters. Maybe somone affiliated with CR will get the idea, his son is a producer too. The telethon is also an excellant idea. There are just too many good things in the works for spinal cord cures and funding is critical. SCI is a drop in the bucket compared to something like arthritis which effects almost 70 million people and costs the US 82 billion a year in related costs. So, we need to keep SCI in the forefront and we need strong leadership from the CRPF and all of the ties CR has with the Hollywood crowd. I hate to say it, but SCI needs to become the "Popular" trauma or the trauma of choice for public awareness and cure goals. I have no doubt it will happen, we just need a way to have the funding to make it all happen soon.