Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idiot dog licking pressure sore

Idiot dog licking pressure sore

I have a small pressure sore on my foot, and I also have a less-than-genius-level dog who loves to lick the sore. Good or bad?

Couldn't tell you if it's good or bad.. but it's doing it to keep it clean and help it heal.

This is a snippet on the web some place..
    "
    There are a couple of reasons for this. First, it’s true that dog saliva has antibiotic properties. Specifically, dog saliva contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses and destroys harmful bacteria. This means the enzyme attaches to the bacterial cell wall - particularly gram-positive bacteria - and weakens it, leading to rupture.
    The second reason is direct stimulation of the tissues and small [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]blood [COLOR=blue! important]vessels[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] surrounding the wound site. This helps to increase blood flow and promote the growth of new capillaries, while the blood brings white cells, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]platelets[/COLOR][/COLOR]

, growth factors and other of the body’s natural healing agents to the wound site."
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

I don't have time to check out the links with this but my only thought is that dogs also lick their ass...and I would think that would create a lot of germs in his mouth...the reason dog bites can be dangerous...

Good. For thousands of years, people have used dogs to, yes, clean their wounds. Dog saliva isn't bad for you, and while I am no doctor/nurse, and while the practice may seem unseemly, he's essentially debriding you. Strange, yeah, but I wouldn't freak out about it; however, ya should go get it treated...
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I have a small pressure sore on my foot, and I also have a less-than-genius-level dog who loves to lick the sore. Good or bad?
    Your dog isn't licking you, he/she is tasting you. I would keep that animal well feed.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

- A dog licks itself to clean itself.
    - Germs inside the dog's mouth would not affect humans negatively. We're not suspectible to the same germs. (Rabies is a virus and not a germ.)
    - Dog's saliva does have a cleansing property to it.
    - Dogs lick to show affection; and while it seems sick, he may be tasting the sore's taste in much the same way humans can taste their blood.

After a very quick Google this would seem to be the middle of the road opinion......

Some dog owners will say that a dog’s saliva actually contains an enzyme that promotes healing and will encourage their dog to lick their cuts or wounds. This fact is true, but the enzyme only works on the wounds of dogs and does not help humans at all. Therefore, you should not encourage your dog to lick open wounds or cuts on you as this will only increase your chance of infection.

In closing, while your pet passing on and illness or parasite to you is unlikely if you keep them properly vaccinated and tested, it may still be a good idea to discourage licking in order to reduce the chances even more.

www.articlezone.com

Good post, Timaru.

It's probably not the best idea to let your dog lick your wound, but he's not doing it because he's an idiot. It's instinctual as dogs are decended from wolves, and a wolf will lick his wounds as well as the wounds of others in the pack, if allowed. You're a part of your dog's pack, that's all.

My dog licks my hand that is clawed up. Never the other one. He gets all into it, holds it with his front feet. I have a feeling he's trying to cure it. My son made his hand into a claw and Dingo was not interested.

Hi,

I hear what everyone is saying but I would not recommend it either. It could be my bias but I am of the school that dogs come in contact with alot of outside germs,etc

If you want to encourage the close contact, I would wrap it in gauze dressing and if he/she licked that, the sore would be protected.

AAd