Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Stem Cell Spinal Cord Repair Within Five Years"

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    This is absolutely no reflection on the talented Dr. Davies. We have been told many times 5 more years to trials, McDonald, Heinrich Cheng, Vacanti Brothers, Bruhovetsky, Dr. Young, Darwin Prockop, Scott Falci, Raisman, and others I can't recall.

Somehow things get in the way, get diverted, whatever. This hopefully will be great for acutes, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    too true I was injured 6/05 & I've been hearing "5 more years" since then. It's so frustrating! Although I'm eternally grateful to those researchers that are working on a cure (especially given all the obstacles Bush made), sometimes I feel as though these Dr.s must think 5 years sounds like a tollerable amount of time to be paralyzed or something. I can't help being cynical at times..."like, yeah sure...you told him 5 more years 20 years ago."
    On the other hand, the promise of a cure is the only thing that keeps me going.

Quote Originally Posted by tskushi26 View Post
    sometimes I feel as though these Dr.s must think 5 years sounds like a tollerable amount of time to be paralyzed or something
    I think it has more to do with funding. There aren't very many
    people who would feel motivated to fund research that could
    take more than a decade to produce a therapy.

5 years sounds a lot more encouraging.

I remember in '06 when Missouri had a stem cell amendment on the
    ballot. One of the arguments made by the opponents was that it could
    take 15-20 years before stem cell research helped anyone, so don't
    vote to fund it.

As a matter of fact, it was that asshole Kurt Warner who's playing
    in the Super Bowl this year that made those exact remarks.

Question

I wonder how much money do they need to give us the cure.

say, 200 million and 24 hours daily of study will give us the cure say in 3 years?

maybe some one will say I need this amount, and this amount of time, then I will deliver the cure. I wish the president ask Dr. Young, how much do you need and how long and Ill give it to you because I know in the long run the country will save a lot off millions yearly. But no no no no president will ask these simple questions and take an action. In every administration we never are the priority and that simply sucks. Maybe is our fault too for not know the right guys with the right positions.

I started playing the super ball lotto, and if I win all my money will go to cure us.

Anyone here knows how much money and time we need for fast results?

100 millions

200 millions

500 millions

1 billion? that's it, this will make us stand up.

2 billions this one for sure will make us take a few steps

3 billions we will not need it because by this amount we will be dead.

manouli.
    Last edited by manouli; 01-31-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Manouli,

I have been thinking a lot about this question ever since Obama won the election with $650 million raised from internet in less than a year. He did it not by having a couple of billionaires or even a couple hundred millionaires give him the money. He did it by convincing 30 million people to give him average of about $25.

We may not have 30 million who are sufficiently interested in giving $25 million apiece to spinal cord injury. However, I am convinced that we have at least 250,000 U.S. families with spinal cord injury who would be willing to give a dollar a day for clinical trials. That would be $91 million per year, enough to fund a couple of clinical trials.

Our dollar-a-day clinical trial program will do this. Perhaps as much or more than most, I have worked over the decades to raise money for spinal cord injury research and to lobby government to pay more for spinal cord injury research. This appraoch has not been and probably will not be enough. Why should anybody else give when most of us in the community will not.

When I first started doing spinal cord injury research 30 years ago (1979), I could not have imagined that our major obstacles to the cure would be money and politics. I thought that it would be the science. But, it has turned out to be politics and money for the last 8 years and probably just money for the next 4 years.

Due to the loss of confidence and the collapse of the credit industry, money is harder to get than a kiss from a stranger on the subway of New York. Foundations are struggling, governments are spending all their money on bailouts, and companies are into survival mode. In such an environment, the only way is to get a little bit of money from a lot of people.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    I wonder how much money do they need to give us the cure.

say, 200 million and 24 hours daily of study will give us the cure say in 3 years?

maybe some one will say I need this amount, and this amount of time, then I will deliver the cure. I wish the president ask Dr. Young, how much do you need and how long and Ill give it to you because I know in the long run the country will save a lot off millions yearly. But no no no no president will ask these simple questions and take an action. In every administration we never are the priority and that simply sucks. Maybe is our fault too for not know the right guys with the right positions.

I started playing the super ball lotto, and if I win all my money will go to cure us.

Anyone here knows how much money and time we need for fast results?

100 millions

200 millions

500 millions

1 billion? that's it, this will make us stand up.

2 billions this one for sure will make us take a few steps

3 billions we will not need it because by this amount we will be dead.

manouli.

question

Dr. Young

when will start this program 1 dollar a day?

too bad we can't get the cash from those incompetent, greedy bastards who trashed our economy and then gave themselves billions in bonuses from taxpayer bailout money...

Those idiots got some big balls.
    oh well

Those 'idiots' are millionaires who's stretching the law to the the fullest to benefit themselves. 'idiots'? - I think not.
    cynic, calculating, cold heartened bastards. - more like it.
    Who knows, maybe karma or the likes will catch up with them, someday - what you give is what you get.

Dollar a day

Hi Dr Young,
    while this idea of Dollar-a-day fund for Clinical Trials should be started as soon as possible(and i believe you are working towards the same), I must request you that you should make it possible for any one any where in the world to make a contribution to this fund for Clinical trials without restricting it to only the people from US.

While you are right that at least 2,50,000 US families will most probably contribute to this fund, obviously a lot of other nationals from all over the world will also like to contribute to it. Just look at the annual revenue break up of any MNC like GE for instance, or the revenues from a BOND or any other big budget Hollywood movie. Revenue from outside USA is usually as much as 60 to 70% of total revenue. So If you open it to all and then we, the SCI Community make it well known at least to the SCI patients and there families all over the world, you will see that a large % of contribution will be from outside USA.

So just start it as soon as possible without any further delay and we the people sitting in India, China , Europe and other countries shall ensure that a large no get to know & contribute to it.

i can't help with dollar a day, but i can with euro a day.. and i will try to get my friends to help out too.
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod