Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With no job and 5 kids, 'better to end our lives,' man wrote

With no job and 5 kids, 'better to end our lives,' man wrote

It was described as one of the most grisly scenes Los Angeles police had ever encountered: the bodies of five small children and their parents, all shot to death, in two upstairs rooms of the family's home.
    A photo on Ervin Lupoe's Facebook page shows his wife and five children.

A photo on Ervin Lupoe's Facebook page shows his wife and five children.
    Click to view previous image
    1 of 2
    Click to view next image

"The reaction on their faces was not a pretty sight," neighbor Jasmine Gomez told CNN. "There was an officer who came out of the house throwing up."

But even more incomprehensible to some was the story that emerged after the bodies were found Tuesday: A father who, after he and his wife were fired from their jobs, killed all six family members before turning the gun on himself.

In a letter faxed to Los Angeles television station KABC before his suicide, Ervin Antonio Lupoe blamed his former employer for the deaths, detailing his grievance against Kaiser Permanente's West Los Angeles Medical Center, where he and his wife Ana had worked as technicians. Video Watch how the note brought police to the home »

Lupoe, 40, claimed the couple was being investigated for "misrepresentation of our employment to an outside agency for the benefit to ourselves's [sic], childcare." He said the initial interview was held on December 19, and when he reported for work on December 23, "I was told by my administrator ... that 'You should not even have bothered to come to work today. You should have blown your brains out.'"

"Oh lord, my God," the letter concludes. "Is there no hope for a widow's son?"

Kaiser Permanente said in a statement Tuesday night that while the company is "saddened by the despair in Mr. Lupoe's letter faxed to the media ... we are confident that no one told him to take his own life or the lives of his family."

The Lupoes' employment was terminated over a week ago "after an internal investigation," the company said.

"While we may never fully understand why today's senseless deaths occurred, everyone who worked with the Lupoes is shocked and terribly saddened by the tragedy," said the statement. "It never should have happened."
    Don't Miss

* Family of 7 dies in murder-suicide
    * Therapists seeing more 'collateral damage'

Lupoe wrote in the fax, "after a horrendous ordeal, my wife felt it better to end our lives; and why leave our children in someone else's hands ... we have no job and 5 children under 8 years with no place to go. So here we are."
    Click here for the rest.

This is really sad on what people are capable of doing. What is wrong with people?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I was talking to a friend about this earlier. They (the parents) had to have
    been nuts to begin with.

I think it shows true desperation and lack of hope. No one to trust to raise their kids shows how lack of family support and distancing from an extended family plays out for some people. I dont think this is the last we will hear of people reaching this kind of 'solution' to their problems.

How many of us individually have considered suicide when all of our options are seemingly removed from us? When you are truly at rock bottom with no money, no family and no help from anywhere that you can see? When the vision of the future is unbearable or unimaginable.

I think it is sad that they decided to resolve this in this way, but I think that as the economy gets worse over the next years there will be more desperate people acting in the same extreme manner. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Reminds me of a song from Bob Dylan, "Ode to Hollis Brown".
    I agree with skippy, there will be more deaths of this nature due to the economy.

It seems as though both their medical licenses were in question since Kaiser wouldn't release them. There may be a law about giving back a license that's in question. Although it's just a piece of paper and a duplicate could have been requested perhaps they knew they lied about their education and legal fitness to do their jobs as techs and it was catching up to them. Plus they bought an expensive house and due to having two sets of twins thought they needed to double the size of it with a very expensive remodeling job. I imagine they dug themselves so deeply into debt that they were balanced right on the edge of financial disaster with no wiggle room. Even in this economy there are plenty of jobs in the healthcare field. If they were legally licensed in their field of endeavor they wouldn't (shouldn't) have a problem finding employment in the LA area. Even if it involved a slight cut in pay they should have been in a position to weather the storm.

Plus the husband had diabetes and a history of strange behavior that was attributed to it. Perhaps he didn't monitor himself properly and was unwittingly setting himself and his family up for a disasterous outcome like this.

There's help available now if your house is going into foreclosure. Speaker of the House Pelosi from CA has seen to that. I think. If your house ever had to go into foreclosure, now is the best time! It appears the man wasn't thinking clearly... didn't work the system as he could have, should have.

It's a shame he thought his only option was to kill his whole family... then himself.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Msn says that a man in Ohio killed his wife and two kids on Wednesday. He recently lost his job.

I hate it when the news of one case like this brings more squirrels out of the woodwork. These stories give people ideas that maybe they wouldn't have had on their own. People are going to get a lot more desperate in the months to come.

Animals are smarter than humans.How many animals kill their family and then commit suicide?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago View Post
    Animals are smarter than humans.How many animals kill their family and then commit suicide?
    They do if you put them in a zoo.

Blog Entries
    This just makes me furious and sick. I don’t care about the circumstances. I have great compassion for someone feeling such despair and would do all I could to provide practical assistance, and love and care, and try to coax awareness of reasons for living. But ultimately who am I to judge another’s decision about his own life? But shooting the kids was just reprehensible, and no amount of pain or fear can excuse that.

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter View Post
    They do if you put them in a zoo.
    Show me an animal that commited suicide being in captivity after killing his female and cubs [zoo] and i will agree with you ian.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."