Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSDI Idiots

SSDI Idiots

I havent worked since December 24, 2006. OK, so I go out to the mailbox today and theres a packet from SSDI. The letter says :

>>I was working for Reliant standard insurance company payroll department in 2007.

>>Reliant standard is the insurance co that paid me my short and long term disability from March of 2007 to September of 2007. I was not working for them.

They stopped paying me what I was due when I qualified for SSDI in October of 2007. (Yeah, I know, I got cheated by them. They were supposed to pay me until I was 65 yrs old as per my policy, but you cant fight a huge corporation when you are sick and really really poor)

>>They also say I was working for my former employer in 2007 because there was income from them in 2007. The "income" was my last check from work done in 2006 and my vacation cash out. Not enough to disqualify or tax any SSDI.

I was on medical leave from my former employer from December of 2006 until May 12 of 2007 when they fired me because I wasn't released by my physician to return to work and was too disabled to work.

>I filed for SSDI in April of 2007 because I realized then that I would not be able to return to work. (Backed up by a statement from a workers comp. examiner which was another can of worms.) SSDI was approved in October of 2007. Getting paid however required a congressmans intervention on my behalf.

Are these people really this stupid? Since when is an LTD payor considered an employer? As far as I know, a private LTD policy is not even an issue with SSDI. It is not even counted as income against SSDI. What should I do? I have to return these documents within 14 days and there is no place to explain that the LTD was not an employer.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I have to return these documents within 14 days and there is no place to explain that the LTD was not an employer.
    Can you make an appointment to go talk with them directly? If not, definitely add an attachment explaining the LTD.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I thank heaven that I am meticulous about my files. I saved everything from every application I made to any govt office, insurance company employer and doctor records. A lot of it is cross referenced for the tangle that grew from dealing with workers comp, my employer, insurance companies, subrogation services, attorneys, SSDI and the VA.

I will organize all of this and trudge (figuratively speaking) into the swirling black hole of the local SS office yet again. Here we go again. double copies and taking notes and names. GAH!!!

In some ways it doesn't matter because your LTD is taxable, just as if it was income. You may, or may not have asked them to take the taxes out of it before you ever got the checks, but it still needs to be filed. I have LTD and get something that looks just like an income statement from them each year.

to answer our question...yes, they really are that dumb...sorry you have to deal with crap like this...

I paid all of the premiums on the LTD policy out of my own pocket. It is not taxable, and I didn't get enough to interest the IRS either. I just think that they want to inflict as much harm as possible on their clients. It says in their own literature (a pamphlet) that income from such policies is not considered income for SSDI offset purposes. If anything, the LTD people still owe me many more years of policy payments until I reach the age of 65.

I'm just pissed that now I have to get all the materials together from all of those files, get to their office and show a dozen people this stuff until I find one that knows what they are doing. Anyone who has dealt with them knows just how rare that is.

LTD usually is affected by SSDI. don't confuse the issue: SSDI is not affected by other income but LTD takes into account all income. this means your SSDI payment will decrease your LTD payment, but your LTD payment will not change your SSDI. both SSDI and LTD are taxable.

BTW, short term disability is considered pay and you will get a W2 from them just as from an employer. it, also, is taxable.
    Last edited by cass; 01-29-2009 at 03:48 AM.

I did not receive SSDI and LTD concurrently. I was fraudulently cut off of my LTD the month before my SSDI was even approved, so there was never any LTD money necessitating adjustment of the SSDI/LTD amounts received.

My concern is that the SS office claims my LTD is employment wages. I was not employed by anyone at the time, I was on a medical leave. It is my understanding that if the employer pays the premium for your STD/LTD policies it is indeed considered the same as wages or work. If the employee shoulders the burden of paying for the policy post income tax, then it is not considered work wages.

I have to say that I think being disabled and keeping entitlements coming in is an awful lot like work.

all i can say is short term dis is different from long term dis. obviously, diff employers have diff ins policies. i only know what i and some others have dealt with.

btw, short term dis and ssdi are not received concurently. but ltd and ssdi can be. i don't think anybody is eligible for ssdi until at least 90 days on short term dis.

i was on short term dis for 6 months last yr (2008). my check was depostied by my employer, Boeing, but my w2 came from the std carrier and taxes were deducted. they paid std, i paid ltd.

i highly doubt any ltd carrier would not account any other income, includng ssdi. my best to you. i'm not saying it's right; in fact, i think it sucks.

i have been on medical leave for a yr. i hate it. but i don't know of anybody who doesn't do time on short term (a decreasing paycheck) for 6 months before it goes to long term (whether you had that coverage paid by emlployer or you). and my w2, though deposited as sick pay by boeing, came from Aetna--their short term carrier.
    Last edited by cass; 01-30-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    all i can say is short term dis is different from long term dis. obviously, diff employers have diff ins policies. i only know what i and some others have dealt with.

btw, short term dis and ssdi are not received concurently. but ltd and ssdi can be. i don't think anybody is eligible for ssdi until at least 90 days on short term dis.

i was on short term dis for 6 months last yr (2008). my check was depostied by my employer, Boeing, but my w2 came from the std carrier and taxes were deducted. they paid std, i paid ltd.

i highly doubt any ltd carrier would not account any other income, includng ssdi. my best to you. i'm not saying it's right; in fact, i think it sucks.

i have been on medical leave for a yr. i hate it. but i don't know of anybody who doesn't do time on short term (a decreasing paycheck) for 6 months before it goes to long term (whether you had that coverage paid by emlployer or you). and my w2, though deposited as sick pay by boeing, came from Aetna--their short term carrier.
    Not that it matters to you a bit, but I know you love puzzles like this Cass Thanks for the responses. You help me clarify the problems.

I paid out of pocket for both STD and LTD. The checks both came from the insurance company's management service. STD in our case lasted only three months, then you had to apply for LTD. The LTD was a guarantee of 66% of my monthly work income for as long as I was disabled, or until I reached age 65.

One of the qualifying conditions for LTD is you also had to apply for SSDI. If the SSDI would be less than the 66% disability, then the LTD would make up the difference as long as I recieved SSDI, or until I reached the age of retirement giving me a total monthly income between SSDI + LTD = 66%. As soon as the LTD insurance found out I was being approved for SSDI, they cancelled me without even a letter of explanation. I had to call the check disbursers to find out why my check hadn't come, and was then told on the phone that I was no longer considered disabled by them, even though I did qualify disabled enough for SSDI. It still makes my blood pressure go up. I got screwed, but was too sick and poor to do anything about it.

This thread is a learning experience for me, so I appreciate all responses. I found out that I should still be getting my LTD and by cancelling me they possibly violated ERISA laws, in which case I will need an attorney to pursue any possible correction. I read legal site stories of people that have won lump sums of the balance of the monies owed them on their entire life of term contract with the insurance company plus legal fees and court costs. In my case that would be over $160,000.00

There is a six year statute of limitations on ERISA violations. I will do more research on this, and hopefully will be able to determine if ERISA was indeed violated in my case.

Thanks Cass for getting my brain working again.