Thread: Mercury in high fructose corn syrup

Exclamation Mercury in high fructose corn syrup

Add this to the list of reasons to cut HFCS out of your diet. Yikes.

Monday, January 26, 2009; 12:00 AM
    MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average.
    source
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012601831.html

Yikes.

C.

yeah, take a stroll down your grocer's "juice" aisle. look real hard for 100% juice (don't be fooled by the BIG 100% and small daily vitamin C label). most is corn syrup. i discovered this 17 yrs ago when i had kid. he gets 100% juice and so do i. unf., you have to hunt for it.

funny how juice is not mentioned in that article snip....

never touching it again! thats what's wrong with me.......LOL no really scary!

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    take a stroll down your grocer's "juice" aisle. look real hard for 100% juice
    Yup. We only drink Naked Juice these days. No added sugars of any kind.

(don't be fooled by the BIG 100% and small daily vitamin C label). most is corn syrup. i discovered this 17 yrs ago when i had kid.
    I don't remember when I first realized how little juice is in Sunny Delight, but I stopped drinking it yrs ago even though I've loved the taste since I was a kid.

funny how juice is not mentioned in that article
    I don't think it was "not" mentioned per se. I think they were just trying to get across how many different foods contain HFCS. I don't think most people would be surprised to hear that juice has added sugar, but I know a lot of people have been surprised when I've pointed out that most store bought breads have a ton of it.

C.