Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Those on SSDI, how do you do your taxes?

Wow! Thanks for all the responses so quick.

Those who just have SSDI as income (so I guess no taxable income) how do you file taxes, what form do you use?

Before when I made money, I always used either 1040 or 1040EZ depending on how complicated my taxes were for that year. Do I still do the 1040? If so it seems like I will pretty much be turning in a blank form (or at least a form with 0 under pretty much everything).

Oh yeah, I forgot, I am a full time student too. Is there any way I can weasel some money back for that? I know I could deduct it if I paid taxes (they sent me a form), but does it do me any good to mention it if I didnt actually pay any taxes ?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    huh, never seen that b4 and i have done taxes on the side for 10 years. interesting
    I would hate for you to be doing my taxes the last 10 years, Are you charging people?
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Funklab, use one of the free online programs, It will fill everything out for you. I posted one above I used for my son the last few years , you have to have under $30,000 adjusted gross income to use it.

But there are a lot of options listed on the IRS site. http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

It would also walk you through the education credits, there is more than one kind.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I was told by social security disabilty that if you make LESS than $25,000.00 you do nothing. They (SSD) wil report your income for you. If you make more than $25,000.00, give them a call at 800-772-1213.

Mike

If you make under a certain amount you can get your taxes done for free. I went last year to H&R Block online and they figure it out for you with no fee if you qualify.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by michael5462 View Post
    I was told by social security disabilty that if you make LESS than $25,000.00 you do nothing. They (SSD) wil report your income for you. If you make more than $25,000.00, give them a call at 800-772-1213.

Mike

And typically they are correct but if you want the chance to qualify for any of the stimulus packages that may come about or has come about you have to have an income tax report on file with the IRS.

i stand corrected , imy software is automatically calculating it. because i have never seen anyone have taxes taken out of ssdi. i wasnt doubting u i figured it auto calculated it. tax prep is mindless these days, just plug and play so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Last year it was line 20a on the 1040.

It looks like this year it is line 20a or 20b. The instructions are on page 27 here, (you will have to scroll down, I can't link to s specific page in a pdf).

But it only kicks in when you are filing jointly, and have over $32,000 in income (pretty likely if your spouse is working). Or filing single, w/ over $25,000. Which would have to be mostly investment income.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    If you make under a certain amount you can get your taxes done for free. I went last year to H&R Block online and they figure it out for you with no fee if you qualify.
    I use H&R too and I like it because its super easy and it explains which figure goes on what line. When I figured out my taxes last year for 2007, I thought I would only be getting back the income taxes I paid for 1 week of work plus unpaid leave which was almost $500 but when I calculated it online I was getting a refund of a lil over $800. My part time income was taxable, I asked to be paid by a stipend so no taxes were taken out so a small portion of my refund did pay the taxes on this income. This year, I'm not planning on a refund as big as last year but hopefully the EIC will take care of the taxes I might have to pay on my pt earnings.

Funklab,
    Since you won't actually be paying taxes on your SSDI you can't get anything back. The first year I collected SSDI I went in to get my taxes filled out with a list of things I thought might get me a rebate check but the tax accountant just smiled and said "if you didn't put anything into the system this year you can't get anything back."