Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Those on SSDI, how do you do your taxes?

What about caretaker money? Is that money taxable?

Joe Decaf ....

Part of my ssdi is taxable, b/c I file jointly, and b/c of my husbands salary there is a formula to calculate how much of my ssdi is taxable, and how much is not.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Joe Decaf ....

Part of my ssdi is taxable, b/c I file jointly, and b/c of my husbands salary there is a formula to calculate how much of my ssdi is taxable, and how much is not.
    he must make alot
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Not really, but it triggers that a percentage of my ssdi is taxable, and the rest is not.

Last year it was joint income over $32,000. (Single over $25,000 as said above, but if you are getting ssdi, and filing single, it would be mostky unearned (investment) income.)

If we filed separately, my ssdi would be untaxed, but we would lose out in a lot of other ways, that filing jointly is the better choice for us.

To the OP, there are a lot of free online tax programs out there if you have a simple return.

I have used this one before, with no problems.
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/
    Last edited by sjean423; 01-27-2009 at 04:13 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

huh, never seen that b4 and i have done taxes on the side for 10 years. interesting
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Mine is about the same as yours sjean. I file jointly with my husband, so a portion of the ssdi is taxable.

My kids use taxact.com for their taxes. It's basically free to figure federal, and will save year to year for a small fee. If your state has state returns, that is a seperate small fee also.

I HATE this time of year. It's pressure to get all ur crap together, then to see how much i've paid in medical, the parking,the meds, the gas back and forth when you realize haow many trips I made back and forth.And then realize that some people who make over $250,000 a yr rarely pay much in taxes.
    Then I go to try and get financial aion all the medical bills, won't cover cause my wife is working, she works for a church (low pay) it's still just enuf to screw it up, or, some won't let you include it.
    There ya go, I got that outta my system for the day, bye now

Mine is taxable like smoky and Sjean's because I file jointly with my husband.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

I know that ssdi is not taxable, but what about long term disablity insurance? Is that different? I have filed jointly with my husband and end up having a percentage formula. I was curious if the separate policy was taxable or considered not taxable as ssdi?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    huh, never seen that b4 and i have done taxes on the side for 10 years. interesting

Last year it was line 20a on the 1040.

It looks like this year it is line 20a or 20b. The instructions are on page 27 here, (you will have to scroll down, I can't link to s specific page in a pdf).

But it only kicks in when you are filing jointly, and have over $32,000 in income (pretty likely if your spouse is working). Or filing single, w/ over $25,000. Which would have to be mostly investment income.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005