Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Those on SSDI, how do you do your taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie View Post
    Our children's checks are direct deposited into my husband's and my joint account. No problem. Set this up at the SS office.
    it was a big problem with wells fargo. they and ssa went back and forth. until i opened an account in both my son's and my name AND got a letter from the local SSA office saying specifically i was the designated payee, wells fargo wouldn't take the check, even though it is written to me for him. the local ssa office, the 800 number, etc. kept telling wells fargo they didn't require this nonsense. so, literally, go figure. really pissed me off. esp. since i'm not even spending the money but trying to save it for him. GEESH

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Is there a rebate check this year?
    Do you need to file this year if only on SSDI?
    I got schooled earlier in the thread and told you need to file regardless of if you pay anything or not.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    R U SHITTING ME??

SSDI ISN'T TAXABLE???

Holy shit! I need to speak with my accountant!
    I am the family accountant and yea, it's taxable. Like 75% of it is taxable including Medicare, IIRC, as long as it's in that total in box 5. This is why I put as much as I can into an IRA. Those are now up to $5K a year that you can deposit tax free and if you're 100 percent disabled--you can withdraw before 65 with no penalty.

I think the free version of TurboTax online handles SSDI as long as you don't have other complicating schedules and forms.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Do you only get the EIC if you have an amount in box 1 of your W-2. I get a W-2, 1099-Misc and 1099-SSA for 2008. I ask because on my w-2 in box 1 the amount is zero but I do have an amount in 14 and so far when figuring out my taxes this fiigure does not qualify as earned income. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by DLV View Post
    My son get SSI not SSDI because he was young and had not worked enough quarters when he was injured to qualify for SSDI.

He is 20 yrs old, lives in our house and we provide everything he needs. The amount he gets from SSI is barely enough to cover the cost of gas to get him back and forth to therapy.

My question is - Can we claim him as a dependent?

When he first applied for SSI they said something about him being an adult and the SSI payments should be for rent, food and clothing. I don't want to mess up the SSI because it also qualifies him for Medicaid which he needs more than the SSI check.
    In order to claim a son or a daughter they have to be a) under 19 at the end of the year, b)under 24 at the end of the year and a full time student c)any age if permenantly and totally disabled.

The child must live with you for more than half the year.

The child must not have provided more than half of his support for the year.