Thread: in the clear, but?

in the clear, but?

had an ultrasound today on my kidneys to look for stones, thank god theres none! Two perfectly healthy kidneys, thank goodness. So that rules stones for the frequent utis. So what could it be?

my cathing is pretty clean, drink plenty but still get utis, get @ least two a month, hate'em!

saw my urologists n he said it maybe stones but no stones! im seeing him again for a urodynamics test!

i also think my botox has worn off cause my bladder spasms have returned but im on oxybutin for now! mkes my mouth dry like crazy. i had botox done last june or july.

any of you get utis despite no stones, clean technique, good water intake?

I dont know what else to do!

My urologists put me on a long dosage of trimothoprim half a tablet a day! think he pescribed 300mg, alot of antobiotics to go through! He said a daily antibiotic is advisable. But ive read theres a chance of resistance. But i havent been feeling crook since being on the daily antibiotic! so i guess its a good thing!

Cheers!
    Nafi
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

I know they usually advise against daily antibiotics but I went through a period of time where I was getting UTI's every month. My doctor put me on a small dose of daily antibiotics and that took care of the problem. After about a year or so, I was able to stop the antibiotics and the UTI's didn't return. Sometimes I think we go through periods in our life where we are more susceptible to infections, perhaps because we are stressed in general and it affects our immunity. Obviously, it is always wise to make sure nothing else is going on that needs to be addressed, as you have done. However, I wanted to let you know that in my case, all worked out well, I didn't develop any resistances and the UTI's stopped....... although I wouldn't presume that my singular experience would establish the practice to be recommended for use as a general rule.

Hi Nafi,

That's good news about your kidneys. It should put your mind at ease knowing you don't have any stones forming inside you. Hoping your urodynamics test follows suit.

I don't know why some people keep getting UTIs despite following strict clean cathing guidelines. Everyone is different and perhaps some fight them off better than others. It seems as though you're really making an effort to figure it out so don't give up until you find something that works for you.

As you know, you can't be too clean so keep up the good work in that regard.

Perhaps you could try using an antibacterial catheter. If they're too expensive and you can't afford to use them all the time perhaps try using just one a day to help keep the bacteria that's in your urethra in check.

I don't think it's advisable to re-use antibacterial catheters... especially the hydrophilic ones.

Antibacterial Silicone Catheter

Antibacterial Hydrophilic Catheter

I don't know what to tell you about taking trimethoprim prophylactically. It's one of those rock and a hard place deals though I believe Nurse KLD will tell you it's not recommended.

Good to hear you're feeling better. Besides the fact that you physically feel better when you're able to get the bacteria in your urinary tract under control, knowing you're able to control it gives you peace of mind. A little confidence goes a long way in SCI! I hope you're able to keep things cool in the long-term.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hi,

Pleaes follow through with the urodynamics, as a bladder that does not empty properly or is at high pressure can pre-dispose you to UTI's.
    Re prophylactic antibiotics, it is generally not recommended due to resistance as mentioned above. You want antibiotics to work for you when you really need them.

That said, there are many people who have benefited from taking a longer course of antibiotic, such as 14-21 days and assuring treatment was based on a urine culture.

Additionally, I know of a few people who have taken daily antibiotics for 6-12 months as dunwawry mentioned above. It is not generally recommended but this is a decision you and your urologist make, based on your history and other life factors. Just make sure you are working with a urologist who is experienced in SCI care.

AAD