Thread: Controlling A Fever

Question Controlling A Fever

I know it's common knowledge that getting overheated is bad news for people with MS; but what about having a fever?

I am getting sick with a sore throat and ear ache and I'm starting to feel feverish. Today, the right side of my head and face was also feeling numb and tingly. I had a lesion in the pons region of my brain stem about two years ago and ever since my body's ability to regulate temperature has been all over the place. From past experience, I know that having a fever for a day can make me very slow both physically and cognitively for two or three weeks! I don't want to have to go through this right now......it's terrible timing as I just started another semester of school and I need to be able to THINK!!!

Does anyone else experience an increase in symptoms when they have a fever? How do you manage it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm not sure I can handle having the MonSter raise it's ugly head right now... Sometimes, I just don't think I have another fight left in me.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Danine, hate to pass on this cause I just don't know. Try the MS site's forums.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Danine, hate to pass on this cause I just don't know. Try the MS site's forums.
    Well, I know there's some other folks here who have MS. I'm hoping they'll have some advice. Anyway, I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully, she'll give me some antibiotics to knock the infection out of me quickly and it won't get any worse than it is right now...it seems to be moving into my chest now....

Thanks Sue.

Yes, having a fever or even getting too hot from hot weather can cause people with MS to get what is called a pseudoexacerbation. This is also called Uthoff's Syndrome in MS. They used to test people for MS by the "hot bath test". If symptoms got worse after spending some time in a hot tub of water, it was diagnosed as MS. By definition, a pseudoexacerbathion is only supposed to last 24 hours or less, but sometimes it last longer if the fever lasts for a while.

Getting the temperature down will help. Drinking ice water, spraying with water and putting on a fan, ice packs in the airpits and groin, and sponging or taking a shower or bath with cold water can help. In the hospital, a cooling blanket can be used.

I see this often professionally, and since my mother has MS, I have also seen it a number of times with her. This is why preventing anything that causes a fever is so important (UTIs, pneumonia, etc.). Cooling her down (as above) generally helps, but it can last for a day or two.

(KLD)

Thank you SCI nurse. I have a doctors appointment scheduled for today. I think I need some antibiotics to get rid of the infection. Thanks again.