Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help for my Dad - C5 complete

skippy is right. They want to put the suprapubic cath in so they don't have to cath him every 4 hrs. The colostomy is b/c they don't want to do his bowel program. He may decide to do these procedures later but it should be his choice, after he's stronger and has studied the options available to him. I could see doing these so soon if it were 100% sure he'd never be able to care for his bowel and bladder himself. That is not clear yet. It is likely but not 100% sure. MANY C5's choose not to have a colostomy, even if they are unable yo do their own bowel care.

Get him out of there asap, I think. In rehab there are ppl who have the job of caring for bowels and bladders until people know their options. I'd listen to KLD. She knows this stuff.

Just got his surgery cancelled for tomorrow. We can do it later if we need/want to. Thank you so much for everyone's advice. I'm working with his case managers and the VA to see if we can get him in.

Not a lot I can add, but sending thoughts and prayers for all of you...

I am not SCI, but I will say that you have to be a bear sometimes to get what is needed. I have heard/read enough stories here to know that in healthcare, sometimes you have to put your foot down to get things done that need to be done.

Even in my own case...birth defect of hip/arthritis...I once had to say that I had arthritis BEFORE I was ever diagnosed with it to get into my Mom's OWN ortheopedic doctor. They had some little teenaged girl at the front desk who could have cared LESS about the pain I was in, etc. When the PA saw me (the Dr. was out on vacation)...he wrote me out of work for two weeks, and that little teenaged girl got all huffy when she read it because she had to write a note to my work, and she started screaming at me..."I can't BELIEVE he wrote you out for a little bit of hip pain...I can't BELIEVE he did this..." and she CALLED him to verify that he wanted me written out...and he told her he certainly DID want me out of work...and she still muttered and sputtered the whole time she was writing the form and faxing it to my work...

Mind you she was yelling so loudly that people in the next block could have heard her...

And you better BELIEVE the next time I went back, I told the DR --and-- her supervisor of the incident. I got apologies all the way around...and I bet she thought long and hard before she broke the hippa law by yelling at anyone again...and divulging private info...

So...long story short...if you run into somebody who gives you a hard time...do what you have to do to get help and treatment in a compassionate way!

Take care all...

Teena

And Betheny and KLD are right...glad the surgery is cancelled for now...first things first.

Glad to hear that you cancelled the surgery as I had been thinking today that with his respiratory status this is NOT the time to be having anesthesia for an elective surgery than can easily be done later IF he still wants to have them done.

Let us know how it is going getting him into the VA SCI Center at Cleveland, and if you are having any problems.

(KLD)

I'm actually running into problems getting in touch with anyone there. I spoke with a receptionist who told me to fill out the application (form 10-10EZ) and bring it with his DD-214 to the urgent care desk. That's as far as I've gotten. I left a message with a social worker, but my call has gone unanswered. When I called the Columbiana County Dept of Veteran Services, they weren't much help. They just told me to go to the VA center in person. Any advice??? I've been told my dad is a Category 4 Vet, but no one seems to care about number. Either they don't know what it means, or it doesn't mean anything until he's in the system? I don't know...

Hi:

There is a group called paralyzed veterans of America. They have a service officer whose job it is to expedite and help those paralyzed veterans get classified and registered with the VA. I'm sure Cleveland has a chapter. Go to their website and check it out. Sometimes the VA clerks don't have a clue. The national service officer at the local PVA chapter has an inside track.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Sieg

Ohio counties employ paid VSO's. You should not be getting the run around from the VSO. They need to make a few calls for you to the hospital. Squeaky wheel... Most people you will encounter in the system have no idea what a category 4 vet is.

You need to get to the right person in the Cleveland VA hospital. This can be difficult since there are a lot of people who dont understand the urgency of your situation. You have to be persistant and an in person visit would be a good idea. There should be an office that deals specifically with benefit information and processing of new applications. Maybe you can PM SCI_OTR to ask whom you should speak to. He works there and can maybe give you an idea what to do. It can be hard to get noticed in the VA, so you have to just keep pluggin'. It will be worth the trouble.

I dont know if they can help, but try calling the patient reps at Cleveland VAMC;

Ernest Spear 216 791 3800 x 6130

Geary Hughes 216 791 3800 x 4019

Keith Dixon 216 791 3800 x4026

When you say a receptionist, is this the VA operator? Are you asking to speak to the someone in the VA SCI Center (you are calling Cleveland directly, right?). Don't take a run-around from people who don't know what they are doing. Use the PVA. That is what they exist for.

First thing Monday AM call this number and tell them you need help to get your his eligibility establish.

Cleveland OH VA Regional Office

240 E. Ninth Street., Rm 1027
    Cleveland, OH 44199
    216-522-3214
    216-522-7709

Paralyzed Veterans of America SCI Office

Louis Stokes VA Medical Center
    10701 East Blvd., Room 6-A-117
    Cleveland, OH 44106
    216-791-3800, ext. 4159

Have a copy of the DD214 and the 10-10EZ completed. Here is a direct link to the form, which is only 2 pages (and 3 of directions). Your dad will also need to join the PVA (free) and sign a power of attorney specific to letting the PVA NSO take care of his VA business for him and serve as his advocate. If anyone in the family has legal POA (not for health care, a general POA) they can also sign.

https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/

(KLD)