Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help for my Dad - C5 complete

Just talked to my Dad's nurse. They are using Kaltostat and duaderm (sp?) to treat his wound.

Good thing your dad is a veteran. KLD will be here soon enough to give you advice there. You must work the Veteran angle with everything you got. It will save his skin, literally. There is no better care anywhere. Go for it.

One of the best SCI centers for Vets is at Cleveland. He is in good proximity for that center. Good luck.
    Last edited by skippy13; 01-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.

A lot of good news here. Good insurance, VA benefits, and a son that loves him and calls to pray in the evening. It's a long haul. I think you have the ingredients to make it.

Impossible to know if the wound treatment is correct without seeing the wound. I would want to also know the stage and size and what the surface looks like (black, yellow, pink, red??).

He needs to be moved from the LTAC to an acute SCI rehab program NOW. Time is wasting, and at his age he will only get weaker the longer he is in that setting without the specialized SCI care and rehab he needs.

He should apply for VA health care benefits immediately. Check out some of the sticky topics in the Veterans forum here for how to do this. He should work with a PVA National Service Officer to do this. There is a VA SCI Center in Cleveland. If he cannot get into MetroHealth, he can go there NOW for his SCI care. There may be a co-payment, but his private insurance can be billed and the co-pay is very low. He should qualify as a Category 4 veteran which is important (some eligibility staff are not aware that a SCI mandates this). He can get much more equipment (like good wheelchairs, bathroom equipment, etc.) through the VA than he is likely to get from his private insurance, and he is unlikely to get sufficient inpatient rehab time under his insurance, even if it is good insurance, so if he does not want to go to the VA right away, a plan to transition there to complete his rehab prior to going home may be the best plan.

The blue dye test for swallow evaluation is outdated and the use of blue dye in tube feedings is no longer recommended and can be dangerous. He needs a formal videofluorscopic swallow study with a speech pathologist. The cuff may be put down on the trach for short periods for speaking with a Passey-Muir if the RT and nurses know what they are doing (of course with a physician's OK).

DVT is deep vein thrombosis. He needs to be on special preventive care to prevent this, which can be deadly if not prevented early after injury. You can get information about this from the sticky topics at the top of the Care forum (under clinical practice guidelines). He should have "leg squeezer" pumps on and be getting daily injections of low molecular weight heparin to prevent this for at least 12 weeks post injury, and we also recommend daily leg measurements by the nurses to help detect any early swelling that can indicate it is developing.

Please come back and ask more questions. We can help.

(KLD)

My experiance with duadem was not good. It never lets the wound dry up. The nurse use to come to my house twice a week for 4 months changing the bandage on 2 wounds on my ankles. Made no progess in healing them. Lucky they never got infected. Just heavy 1/8" deep. Medicad would now longer pay for the visits when I got Medicare. I took care of them myself. Keep them clean and open to the air , no bandages. They dried up and were gone in about a month. I would put my feet up 2 or 3 times a day to keep new blood to the area. The duaderm is crap.
    oh well

Does anyone have any experience with the VA SCI center in Cleveland?

I did ask his nurse yesterday about the DVT and he has been tested and is on medications to control/prevent.

Also wanted to mention that my Dad is having a suprapubic catheter and diversion colostomy on Friday. Are these ok to be having at this time?

I wish your father the best.
    March 21st, 2010 - The day the Republic Died

Why is he having these surgeries at this point? We would not rush into these things at such an early stage, and these should not be done now as they will delay his move to rehab. Get him moved first. Those procedures can be done any time, if needed at all.

SCI_OTR here works at the Cleveland VA. You might want to e-mail or PM him. I would definitely recommend that you check them out...pay a visit and talk to the patients there. They are a major center for SCI FES research.

(KLD)

I figure the surgeries are for the convenience of the staff at the facility he is in. It is cynical of me to think that, but it is not unheard of and probably the truth.