Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Help for my Dad - C5 complete

Sorry, he has a sacral wound.

Just got back from a visit with my dad. It was an awesome visit! We talked a lot and laughed a lot. He has movement of his right hand now! And he can feel sensation in his toes when we rub our fingers across them!

I have a question though. I asked my dad if he can feel anything when they do his bowel program everyday. He said yes. He can feel the suppository going in and he can feel when the nurse is doing the digital stimulation. Please correct me if I'm wrong: I thought that if a patient has feeling in the base of the spine (and can therefore feel if something is being inserted into the rectum) they are classified Incomplete. I've always been told that my dad is a C5 Complete. I have a call into the doctor to get a better explanation as to his exact circumstance, but I just thought I'd ask here, too.

This is really good news that he has movement in his right hand and sensation during the bowel care.
    IMO, he is incomplete due to fact that he has movement in his hand and sensation donw to his toes.
    Did they did ASIA test when he first got admitted to VA Cleveland?

They tested my son when he first got admitted to VA SanDiego and before he got discharged.

tmrperry, he should have another complete ASIA exam. If he has feeling at the anal sphincter, this would indicate that he is now an ASIA B (incomplete). Keep us posted.

(KLD)

When I asked one of his doctors, she confirmed that he is a C5 Complete ASIA A. (Although she said that his left side was C5 and his right side was C7.) I told her about his feeling, but she said something about it being inconsistent maybe? She did say that they evaluate a few times during the first year and then yearly thereafter. So maybe we'll see at his next eval???

I have more questions and hope someone can shed some light for me. My poor Dad, if he knew I had to discuss his bowel movements on the internet, I think he'd die!

Before my dad's injury, he was very healthy and would have BMs usually around twice per day. The nurses have been doing his bowel program (digital stim) only 3x per week. He's been on a regular solid food diet for about a month now and for the past week or so he's been having BMs a few times a day again. Is this his body regulating itself back to his normal frequency or could something else be going on? They took a sample of his stool just to be sure, but it seems to me that if someone had a BM 3x per day you would do their bowel program more than just 3x per week. Also, his stool is on the runny side yet they want to give him more fiber via fiber supplements. Won't this exacerbate the runny stools? Any help is appreciated. (Oh, I was told he has an upper neuron spastic bowel - if that helps at all.) Thanks!

Is he also on a suppository?

If all his stools are runny, then they need to do a c. diff. tox screen first before doing anything else.

If that is ruled out, and he is not getting medications that would give him loose stools (what is he taking now???) then medication can be used to firm up the stool. Metamucil, etc. does not work well for this, but Fibercon (calcium polycarbophil) can be quite helpful. Imodium can also be used, although long term use is discouraged.

While many people with SCI do fine on a 3X weekly bowel program, in spite of how often they had stools before (because their bowel motility is decreased now), if he is having accidents, he should go back to a daily bowel program at least.

Is he in a rehab center or a nursing home?

If you have not already done so, you should download this booklet for both of you to read:

http://www.pva.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8095

If the rehab unit or nursing home does not already have this, and does not already base their procedures for bowel care upon this, download it and give it to the head nurse or nurse educator:

http://www.pva.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=7651

(KLD)

Another question: What is the normal procedure for removing a trach? Is the patient's O2 saturations monitored somehow afterwards until they know for sure that everything is okay? (to make sure mucous doesn't choke the patient)

I'm sorry to report that tmrperry's father passed away on the 20th of April from a pulmonary embolism. He had a large and loving family and will be missed by all. My sympathies to the family.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I don't have the final autopsy report yet, but I know it wasn't a pulmonary embolism. That was their guess, but they were wrong.