Thread: Miami and the Keys - Must see / do

Thumbs up Miami and the Keys - Must see / do

Ok gang.... Change of plans.... Not going to San Diego now. Switched to Miami. We will, one day, hit San Diego. It seems like such a nice city...

But now, we are booked for Miami. (Only a 3.5 hour flight from Toronto!)

Any tips / suggestions / advice?

I see swimming with the dolphins in Key Largo... Hello! I am down for that!

P.S. Also could use suggestion on equipment rental company (for hoyer lift) and nursing agency / caregiver help for bp.

Thanks!
    Last edited by CowboyCrip; 01-25-2009 at 06:43 PM.

I attended an SCI conference in Miami a couple of years ago. If you so desire- stop into the Miami Project- there is a working physiology lab that you can see people with paralysis walk in the lokomat and workout on w/c accessible equipment. You can speak to researchers etc.. There is also an accessible sailing program in Biscayne Bay. I can't remember the name- but could find it for you if you would like.
    I have travelled to the Keys- stayed in a B&B. There is a faboo fish taco, fish n chips, crab bisque fast food joint in Marathon. Fun and accessible. It is located near the marina. Rick's Back Porch (I think) in Key West is somewhat accessible, but the food is Phenomanal. While there, adventure into the cuban food scene it is also excellent. Going to Key West will require some research. The streets have very tall curbs with and without curb cuts. Mallory Square at sunset is a cool experience. Much of the streets in the Keys lack sidewalks, gravel and dirt strips alongside the road are often "sidewalks".
    I went to Bahia Honda a state park with beautiful white sand beaches in the Keys. Unfortunately the boardwalks out to the beaches included stairs- so not very accessible.
    Sorry to generalize, but I found many drivers in and around Miami to be either driving around 35 MPH on the freeway (when wide open) or they were zipping past at around 90-100 MPH weaving in and out- even watched an idiot pass on the median. Not a good mix- saw a couple of accidents related to the two types mixing it up.
    Wanted to visit the everglades, but did not end up doing so. In Miami we stayed North of South Beach- nice paved boardwalk (some sand though). Beaches not too far to access either. Great shopping in Coconut Grove which was not far away from the sailing program.
    Sorry to skip around and only provide random tidbits. Now if you ever come to the Seattle area, please reach out- I used to be a tourguide-so I've got lots of Cliff Claven factoids about the area.
    Have fun- enjoy the warm weather. We just got a little bit of snow-reminding us that winter is here for awhile longer. A friend of mine just returned from Miami on Sunday and enjoyed temps in the 70's (25 C) or so.
    Take Care,
    Pam

Last edited by Foolish Old; 01-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

SALM

http://www.shakealegmiami.org/site/c...KpH/b.2521629/

Louie's Back Yard?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...s_Florida.html

Quote Originally Posted by SCIOT View Post
    I attended an SCI conference in Miami a couple of years ago. If you so desire- stop into the Miami Project- there is a working physiology lab that you can see people with paralysis walk in the lokomat and workout on w/c accessible equipment. You can speak to researchers etc.. There is also an accessible sailing program in Biscayne Bay. I can't remember the name- but could find it for you if you would like.
    I have travelled to the Keys- stayed in a B&B. There is a faboo fish taco, fish n chips, crab bisque fast food joint in Marathon. Fun and accessible. It is located near the marina. Rick's Back Porch (I think) in Key West is somewhat accessible, but the food is Phenomanal. While there, adventure into the cuban food scene it is also excellent. Going to Key West will require some research. The streets have very tall curbs with and without curb cuts. Mallory Square at sunset is a cool experience. Much of the streets in the Keys lack sidewalks, gravel and dirt strips alongside the road are often "sidewalks".
    I went to Bahia Honda a state park with beautiful white sand beaches in the Keys. Unfortunately the boardwalks out to the beaches included stairs- so not very accessible.
    Sorry to generalize, but I found many drivers in and around Miami to be either driving around 35 MPH on the freeway (when wide open) or they were zipping past at around 90-100 MPH weaving in and out- even watched an idiot pass on the median. Not a good mix- saw a couple of accidents related to the two types mixing it up.
    Wanted to visit the everglades, but did not end up doing so. In Miami we stayed North of South Beach- nice paved boardwalk (some sand though). Beaches not too far to access either. Great shopping in Coconut Grove which was not far away from the sailing program.
    Sorry to skip around and only provide random tidbits. Now if you ever come to the Seattle area, please reach out- I used to be a tourguide-so I've got lots of Cliff Claven factoids about the area.
    Have fun- enjoy the warm weather. We just got a little bit of snow-reminding us that winter is here for awhile longer. A friend of mine just returned from Miami on Sunday and enjoyed temps in the 70's (25 C) or so.
    Take Care,
    Pam
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 01-28-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

If you like seafood try the Stone Crabs. BTW they have the key to regeneration as the crab you'd be eating, the crab that claw was snatched from is still alive and growing a new claw.

Quote Originally Posted by manofspine View Post
    If you like seafood try the Stone Crabs. BTW they have the key to regeneration as the crab you'd be eating, the crab that claw was snatched from is still alive and growing a new claw.
    Freshest restaurant Stone Crab

http://www.keysfisheries.com/restaurant.html
    Foolish

In the Coconut Grove area the accessible sailing company is called
    "Shake a Leg"

They provide the lessons and sail boats.
    Last edited by Clodivs; 01-30-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Pardon my errors and omissions. Yes to all the corrections. Key Fisheries and the yummy food, Louie's (Not Rick's) another yummy, and yes the shake-a-leg program is the program I am thinking of. Enjoy....