Thread: Idea: State Supported Adult Stem Cell Research

Idea: State Supported Adult Stem Cell Research

South Carolina has an all new Governor [Mark Sanford] this term who wants to help bring new high tech jobs into the state. Being a devout church-goer, I doubt he would be willing to do what California and New Jersey did with passing a bill to allow ESC research in the state.

What about adult stem cell research? A lot of people with moral/ethical concerns regarding ESCs want to know why we can't use ASCs, but I can't recall any incentives for companies or researchers to study ASCs.

What kind of legislation would be needed to provide incentives for a type of research? I would assume an appropriations bill, but is there anything else?

-Steven

The first step is for the state to officially encourage stem cell research. Then, a variety of state funds can be used to support such research, including any state funds for spinal cord injury research. Also, the state can sponsor a stem cell bank.

Steven do you know if SC has any SCI research funding already in place? Try your states net site and hopefully you can search current legislation.

Later, Leo

South Carolina does already have legislation creating a means to fund SCI research. I was thinking of also having some ASC specific funding to examine how they work and other information. I think ASCs would be a good complement to many areas of research, including SCI.

-Steven

Steven, the things that need to be known now, would be how much is available? who's allocating the funds? (a agency and committee, probably) what are there currently funding? then lobby this group to look hard at, ASC. Even better yet Steven getting on that committee would be the ticket.

Later, Leo