Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Effect of Occasional Alcoholic drink on Neuropathic Pain

Now that you mention it, I had four beers today and my feet are buzzing.

Not me, my feet.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    I saw on TV the Lyrica ad stating that you should not add alcohol if taking this med.

I think I will ask my pain doc if it is okay to take an extra Lyrica 75mg , if I have a drink or 2.
    Is it just me, or does taking even more of a prescription drug that's not supposed to be mixed with alcohol in the first place seem counter-intuitive to anyone else? I'm all for home pharmacology, but mixing prescription meds with alcohol is one thing that I don't mess around with.

I'm really hoping the doc comes into this discussion -- it's very interesting!

--THC

Jon, I can't remember, is Lyrica metabolized through the liver? That's my first thought when it says to not mix meds with alcohol.

I'm not on any pain meds , just get use to it over time. Gets real bad sometimes , I take 5 ibuprofen. If I drink 4 or 5 beers and hit a joint a couple times , my pain and body totally relax. I can acually move around without fighting my body. Nice while it lasts.
    oh well

Lyrica is eliminated by the kidney unchanged

I checked the PDR and learned that Lyrica in not metabolized by the liver. It is eliminated (excreted) by the kidneys . Only 2 % gets metabolized into some other molecule.

The PDR notes that lyrica is unlikely to be involved in significant pharmacokinetic drug interactions which means that taking other meds shouldn't effect how Lyrica is handled by the body.

AHA - Here is the paragraph that I am looking for.
    "Multiple oral doses of Lyrica were co-administered with oxycodone, lorazepam or ETHANOL. Although no pharmacokinetic interactions were seen, additive effects on cognitive and gross motor functioning were seen when Lyrica was co-administered with these drugs."
    So the reason they say you shouldn't drink on Lyrica is the just the additive increase in cognitive impairment. I am reassured that it is not medically dangerous to have 2 drinks with Lyrica - obviously, you have to exercise good judgement about operating heavy machinery (like a car) anyways which we do every day.

Although this answers the safety issue, it doesn't address the question I posed about whether one or 2 drinks worsen or flare up ones NP pain. Won't find that answer in the PDR. But hearing everone's experience is helpful.
    Thanks.

thehipcrip - I shouldn't have written that about chasing 2 drinks with more Lyrica - my bad - that doesn't set a good example. I am just trying to figure out how to have a social drink or two occasionally.
    Last edited by arndog; 01-26-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: forgot to close the quotes

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    So most people don't find their NP pain worsening with 2 drinks except me and quadvet.
    Correction: 1 drop greatly increases it for the day; "2 drinks" drives me up the walls for days; rigid body, zinging, uncoordinated arm movements/shaking, headaches with sweating and pins and needles on forehead, ears ringing, blurred vision, etc... hard to function in that state. C5/6 "complete". See meds listed above regarding interactions.

I don't find my NP pain increases after a couple of drinks, but I already have the frequency, urgency issuses with the bladder, so that increases.

I did discover when I was trying Lyrica, not to have a couple of drinks, period. My legs turn into limp noodles. Not so with gabapentin and topamax.

Alcohol and coffee, I use to drink coffee every day, all day...........