Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Effect of Occasional Alcoholic drink on Neuropathic Pain

The Effect of Occasional Alcoholic drink on Neuropathic Pain

It is my impression that having one or 2 drinks (like a glass of wine and/or a martini) fires up my neuropathic pain that evening. I take Lyrica 150 mg twice a day, Elavil 25 mg at night with reasonable control. But if I have 2 drinks, I will suffer big time burning that night.
    Do others find that alcohol exacerbates the NP ?
    If so , this is unfortunate since I like an occasional glass of wine.
    Jon

I think that drinking alcohol is nice. It puts me in another world.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    It is my impression that having one or 2 drinks (like a glass of wine and/or a martini) fires up my neuropathic pain that evening. I take Lyrica 150 mg twice a day, Elavil 25 mg at night with reasonable control. But if I have 2 drinks, I will suffer big time burning that night.
    Alcohol is a major pain stopper for me. Maybe it is the combo of Lyrica & alcohol that is causing the problem?

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I take the same amt of Lyrica, and do occasionaly have some wine or a couple of good snorts, or good ol' Mikes hard lem. and have no increase in pain at night.

On my worst nights of pain, I'll have a drink or two which really helps with the pain quite a bit, especially considering I barely ever drink at all. That's one of the wonderful side effects of alcohol and I remember being now many times before I was injured how many times I should've really hurt myself or how much it did hurt the next morning. Back in the old days, they used to get people drunk before they removed bullets from them.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Jon

Okay this is not the usual effect of alcohol. I guess it could affect liver metabolism, but you don't say if the drugs you use are metabolized in the liver. I really don't think this is it, but maybe some enzymes when you get the chance. Had a transaminase lately? If you are taking statins and use alcohol, that might be synergistic. I don't think you are taking statins, however. Same with crack cocaine, but I dont' know any ENT docs prone to that.

Sorry for your problems. What does Welch's grape juice do for you?

For me it is like three beers and the pain is gone. Maybe it is the alcohol, maybe it is the company of other people and feeling alive. I have never tried three beers alone at home, I am alone with a child and that is the reason I never drink at home, except I feel lonely if I drink at home too.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Jon, what it sounds like it comes down to for you, unfortunately, is whether this is how it works for you. See if there are any other factors that might possibly be playing a role in this, because I don't recall wine or other form of alcohol being mentioned as a problem by anyone else. Like Dejerine, I'm curious if concord grape juice or some other non-alcoholic wine would have the same effect for you.

Yes, extremely, full body zinging for days like plugged into 220 V and on fire. We were just talking about that the other day, over in this thread.

Lucky us, eh Jon.

So most people don't find their NP pain worsening with 2 drinks except me and quadvet.

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that Dr. Wise said that ethanol is excitatory to nerves which might counteract what the Lyrica and Elavil are doing, quieting down nerve activity.

Dejerine - actually, I just started a Statin (mevacor) for hypercholesterolemia this summer. So all in all , I take Lyrica, Elavil, mevacor, and doxycycline daily.

I saw on TV the Lyrica ad stating that you should not add alcohol if taking this med.

I am still not totally sure that it is the alcohol. I suspect everyone on this pain forum has trouble differentiating Causal relationships versus Temporal associations worsening the pain.
    Was it the alcohol I drank or that I was more active than usual or was it the barometric pressure change that worsened the pain? ? ?
    I ask myself these questions and usually go in circles. There are too many variables. Sometimes the NP pain gets bad with absolutely no obvious cause. So, it is tough to say for sure.
    I think I am going to have some scotch now ! ! !

I think I will ask my pain doc if it is okay to take an extra Lyrica 75mg , if I have a drink or 2.

Dr. Wise, if you read this could you comment on ETOH effects on NP pain while taking Lyrica, Elavil?