Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat Organic

Eat Organic

I've been saying this for awhile but my family thought I was crazy. Our fruits and vegetables are getting more and more genetically modified. My girlfriend cut a sliver from an apple 3 days ago and as you can see by the pictures, its not a normal apple. After 3 days of being exposed to the air it barely oxidized the first day at all, in fact it dried out before it developed any brown spots. I've decided to grow fruits and vegetables with my parents, since they have a nice plot of land. I found a nice site to buy Hierloom and organic seeds in the States. Its one of the biggest lists of seeds I've seen with what you would normally want plus others you won't see at the supermarket. I grew herbs last year in a bucket and I had herbs all spring, summer, and fall. Buying Organic is great if you can afford it but it is a really easy to grow it yourself.

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/

DAY 2

DAY 3
    Last edited by TheAbleChef; 01-24-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    Never Give Up!

I buy as much organic as I can find because I believe it is not only a lot healthier, but also because I want to encourage practices that treat Mother Earth with respect instead of spreading pesticides over the land. For some products, like coffee, it has a third benefit, as the pickers who work for fair trade and organic coffee producers are paid a living wage instead of a subsistence level of pay.

Im staying here with my mother in her co-housing and they grow veggies, make their own compost - have ducks and chicks for eggs. pretty neat little set up. I made some soup earlier and needed some parsley, mom went out and cut me some! LOL to awesome. sooo yes organic is best i think (at least when i can afford it)
    I read somewhere they were crossing a cold water fish with tomatoes so that the tomatoes dont lose their flavor when refrigerated.. really bizzar if you ask me!
    it really gets to me that they do not tell you that you are eating genetically modified foods, this includes meat folks! when did we lose control of what we eat here? really scary

"soilent green is people!" ahhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by nickelo View Post
    I read somewhere they were crossing a cold water fish with tomatoes so that the tomatoes dont lose their flavor when refrigerated.. really bizzar if you ask me!
    it really gets to me that they do not tell you that you are eating genetically modified foods, this includes meat folks! when did we lose control of what we eat here? really scary

GMOs are really scary! I wish we adobted the system used by European Union. Any of the packaged food items being sold must indicate whether the item is genetically modified or not. And it must also tll you each step taken by the manufacture(s) to make the product. Ex. Carrot Soup - Where the carrots from, other veggies, stuff like that.

We lost control when Monsanto, an American multinationalagricultural biotechnologycorporation. It is the world's leading producer of the herbicideglyphosate, marketed as "Roundup". Monsanto is also by far the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed, holding 70%–100% market share for various crops. Agracetus, owned by Monsanto, exclusively produces Roundup Ready soybean seed for the commercial market. In March 2005, it finalized the purchase of Seminis Inc, making it also the largest conventional seed company in the world. It has over 18,800 employees worldwide, and an annual revenue of USD$8.563 billion reported for 2007.[2]
    Monsanto's development and marketing of genetically engineeredseed and bovine growth hormone, as well as its aggressive litigation and political lobbying practices, have made the company controversial around the world and a primary target of the anti-globalization movement and environmental activists.
    , have put their current and former employees in the FDA and other organizations;
    Former Monsanto employees currently hold positions in US government agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) and the Supreme Court. These include Clarence Thomas, Michael Taylor, Ann Veneman, Linda Fisher, Michael Friedman, William D. Ruckelshaus, and Mickey Kantor.[9] Linda Fisher has even been back and forth between positions at Monsanto and the EPA.
    Donald Rumsfeld reportedly earned $12 million from increased stock value when G. D. Searle & Company was sold to Monsanto in 1985., so when Monsanto comes out with another scientifically advanced seed or whatever it gets FDA approval without any hassles. If you're interested in learning about the company just look at the link below. Its really scary once you read about what they do and how detrimental they are to the environment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto
    Never Give Up!

egads! that company sounds like a monster! eeek! you know im going to start canister growing when i can.

In Canada it is not yet manditory for them to label genetically modified foods.
    In the past few years I have radically changed my diet - stopped eating meat - near vegan diet. Organic produce. and also I try very hard to eat local. not only does that support my area but think of all the nutrition lost when food has to spend days or weeks crossing the continent and all the preservatives they have to add for it to do that. Farmer's markets, food co-ops and good food boxes are all great.
    I stopped eating meat because meat is not meat - it is hormones, anitibiotics and other chemicals with a little meat in it. I truly believe it is the cause of most of our health concerns. and it is possible to eat a high protein diet without eating meat or dairy and to eat a high calcium diet without eating dairy.

the only problem with "organic" food is that it is not regulated. so the term organic doesn't have any standards attached to it. I am sure it is always better than non-organic food but it doesn't always mean chemical free.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAgain View Post
    so the term organic doesn't have any standards attached to it. I am sure it is always better than non-organic food but it doesn't always mean chemical free.
    The logic goes - if all things are equal, then organic will be the way to go. That is to say, if you're getting your veggies or fruit from crops that grew on poor but organic soil it is fair to assume that the same veggie or fruit item from a more "conventional" setting will be the more nutritious. This is possible because the judicious use of hericide/pesticide on produce grown on fertile soil will produce produce that is well worth eating while (granted, an improbable scenario) organic produce grown on infertile (sand comes to mind, although it can be modified to grow some crops well) land may not produce produce worth eating. Likewise, following the above logic, "chemical free" may not always be superior to non CF.

back to the OP, yes, GMOs are very scary.

Link
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

i do want to say this much... please people try to eat local, then you dont have to worry to much about "organic" standards... there are a lot of local farmers that you can talk to on how they grow and produce their food.

if we try to stay local with out food purchases then maybe just maybe we will benefit from the food you get and benefit our local small growers to keep producing!

also want to add that some people simply either cant cook or do not desire to cook like some of us, so convienience is used and people tend to eat a lot of processed foods. there are a lot of new places popping up that serve local grown foods or simply healthier foods, if we step up and send our money their way we can also encourage better eating and better food quality. forget mcdonalds.

[quote=AlexAgain;990577]
    I stopped eating meat because meat is not meat - it is hormones, anitibiotics and other chemicals with a little meat in it.
    quote]

My fiance's parents have been in farming for many generations and has alot of knowledge in cattle. This is what she told me...

"In Canada no cattle may be slaughtered until the antibiotics have had time to work their way out of the system (a certain number of weeks). Hormones are not commonly used in traditional farming (factory farms are another story) and similar rules apply for slaughter. NO hormones are used in dairy cattle in Canada, it is against the law. Organic meat is another way to go if you are worried about contaminants. Try to stay away from meat purchased at large box stores (which is often treated to stay looking fresh). Instead, buy from local butchers - these mom and pop shops can often tell you exactly where the meat is from and know the farmers and their practices. Of course, go with what works for you! "
    Never Give Up!

This is part of the reason I hunt. A nice big elk will last months, and has no biotics or hormones. It's also leaner than skinless ckn breasts.