Thread: Aircraft Includes Hand Controls For Paraplegics

Aircraft Includes Hand Controls For Paraplegics

This was encouraging to see...

If nothing else, the now four-year-old Sport Pilot category is all about accessibility, and making it easier for people to fly... whether the challenges are financial, or physical.
    On Thursday's opening day of the US Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring, FL, Paradise USA LLC will unveil its new P1 SP -- a version of the Brazilian-sourced P1 light sport aircraft, with hand controls for paraplegic pilots.
    Chris Regis with Paradise USA says the interior room in the P1 makes the aircraft aptly suited for pilots with physical disabilities.
    "Our P1 looks big for the Light Sport Aircraft category because it was designed around a four-seat configuration with the aft cabin converted to luggage use," he said. "The P1 offers more cubic area than most cockpits in light aviation. You can even pop out the front seat in a few seconds and stretch out full length for a nap or an overnight stay."
    Regis adds the P1 can also easily carry golf clubs or a family pet, as well as a wheelchair. The P1 was conceived and built for a gross weight 300 pounds greater than the maximum allowable gross weight for an LSA, and offers a glide ratio of 12.5:1 for an added margin of safety.
    from Aero-News Network
    - Richard

That's pretty cool.

C.

that is pretty cool. i wish it was possible for quads to fly. i'd love to get me a Titan T-51 or other warbird replica to fly...or a cure would be much better so we dont have to worry about obnoxious hand controls...
    -C6 incomplete
    -injured January, 14th 2006 in roll-over

Quote Originally Posted by DA6righthand View Post
    that is pretty cool. i wish it was possible for quads to fly. i'd love to get me a Titan T-51 or other warbird replica to fly...or a cure would be much better so we dont have to worry about obnoxious hand controls...
    Quads can fly. I'm c6/c7 and a student pilot. I'm using a Cessna 172s. If you want to become a pilot threre are some flight schools around the country that have programs for disabled people. Take a look to this page.

www.wheelchairaviators.org

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    This was encouraging to see...

from Aero-News Network
    - Richard
    Thanks for the post rfbdorf. This has reinvigorated my intent to pursue pilots training. Unfortunately, it will have to wait for the finances to stabilize.

Quote Originally Posted by DA6righthand View Post
    or a cure would be much better...
    Gods, does everything have to go back to this?

C.

That's an affirmative. I'd love to pilot a small aircraft too, but until it's more affordable, I'll stick with Flight Simulator. But, it is encouraging to see that a plane was made for paraplegics. I was thinking that if I ever wanted to fly I'd have to get hand controls installed just like on my car.