Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cnn reports spinal cord trials

Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE View Post
    Honestly, I believe that's BS. I'm more interested in fat cells being differentiated into nerve cells lately. No Immune system suppressant drugs. No controversy. Don't know how it will begin though. I guess there has to be some kind of lobby for it.
    how about using the native stem cells already in the spinal cord.

The scar tissue is going to be a very big obstacle to over come. I don't know how they will even do this. Maybe they will not need to. A bridge maybe. But it might take a few years longer instead of redoing the scar. Not sure really but wish they would do some kind of scar removal lab study. But what researcher wants to do chronic rats. We're still on acutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    The scar tissue is going to be a very big obstacle to over come. I don't know how they will even do this. Maybe they will not need to. A bridge maybe. But it might take a few years longer instead of redoing the scar. Not sure really but wish they would do some kind of scar removal lab study. But what researcher wants to do chronic rats. We're still on acutes.
    The scar is surmountable. Also, regardless of it being more costly and time consuming, there are researchers working on chronic rats as I write this.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    how about using the native stem cells already in the spinal cord.
    I don't know what you're talking about. Could you post a link to the study? I imagine cells taken from the spinal cord would only damage one part of the cord and fix another but I really don't know.

I don't know what you're talking about. Could you post a link to the study? I imagine cells taken from the spinal cord would only damage one part of the cord and fix another but I really don't know.
    why take them out. keep them in and help them repair the damage.

why take them out. keep them in and help them repair the damage.
    Wouldn't they have to be transplanted to the damaged area? I'm still not understanding. Please post a link regarding this information so I can read up on it.

Wouldn't they have to be transplanted to the damaged area? I'm still not understanding. Please post a link regarding this information so I can read up on it.
    there is no one link. do a search on it in cure. there is many threads on the subject.

let me give you an example, if you break your arm and damage the nerves, does a doctor need to transplant any cells to repair the nerve damage? no. the same applies to the spinal cord except we need to help the cord repair itself...stem cells know where to go, we just need to help make the enviroment right for them.

there is no one link. do a search on it in cure. there is many threads on the subject.

let me give you an example, if you break your arm and damage the nerves, does a doctor need to transplant any cells to repair the nerves damage? no. the same applies to the spinal cord except we need to help the cord repair itself...stem cells know where to go, we just need to help make the enviroment right for them.
    Nerve damage in the arm is quite different than the spinal cord. Nerve damage in the arm will heal itself with time as the nerves regrow. The spinal cord does not repair itself that I know of. If there are so many links it shouldn't be any trouble for you to post just one. It's kind of hard to do a search for spinal cord and cells since there are so many. I mean seriously, post a freaking link already.

okarma

if he believes that a complete sci has no hope of recovery, then why even bother in this field?! To only treat those whose minor injuries are easier to deal with.

I read okarma's quote as meaning that these are the injuries that they want to study-the worst ones.