Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Cnn reports spinal cord trials

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,125

    Cnn reports spinal cord trials

    updated 3:57 a.m. EST, Fri January 23, 2009
    Share this on:
    Mixx
    Digg

    Facebook

    delicious

    reddit

    StumbleUpon

    MySpace

    FDA approves human embryonic stem cell studyStory Highlights
    Human stem cell research could begin as early as this summer

    Researchers will test whether the cells are safe to use in spinal injury patients

    Federal funds were blocked for embryonic stem-cell research until August 2001

    Next Article in Health »


    (CNN) -- Federal regulators have cleared the way for the first human trials of human embryonic stem-cell research, authorizing researchers to test whether the cells are safe to use in spinal injury patients, the company behind the trials announced Friday.


    Embryonic stem cells are blank cells found in embryos, which have the ability to turn into any cell in the body.

    The tests could begin by summer, said Dr. Thomas Okarma, president and CEO of the Geron Corporation. The Food and Drug Administration has approved the trials, which will use human stem cells authorized for research by then-President


    GO TO CNN.COM FOR REST OF STORY

  2. #2
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    updated 3:57 a.m. EST, Fri January 23, 2009
    Share this on:
    Mixx
    Digg

    Facebook

    delicious

    reddit

    StumbleUpon

    MySpace

    FDA approves human embryonic stem cell studyStory Highlights
    Human stem cell research could begin as early as this summer

    Researchers will test whether the cells are safe to use in spinal injury patients

    Federal funds were blocked for embryonic stem-cell research until August 2001

    Next Article in Health »


    (CNN) -- Federal regulators have cleared the way for the first human trials of human embryonic stem-cell research, authorizing researchers to test whether the cells are safe to use in spinal injury patients, the company behind the trials announced Friday.


    Embryonic stem cells are blank cells found in embryos, which have the ability to turn into any cell in the body.

    The tests could begin by summer, said Dr. Thomas Okarma, president and CEO of the Geron Corporation. The Food and Drug Administration has approved the trials, which will use human stem cells authorized for research by then-President


    GO TO CNN.COM FOR REST OF STORY
    you cut a part out...

    The tests could begin by summer, said Dr. Thomas Okarma, president and CEO of the Geron Corporation. The Food and Drug Administration has approved the trials, which will use human stem cells authorized for research by then-President George W. Bush in 2001

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    bedford, n.y., usa
    Posts
    138

    chronic

    so I guess chronic sci is not in their radar. So much for the 99.9% of people with sci! Also, nobody will be able to differentiate the therapy as opposed to someone's natural healing within the early stages of sci. Treating chronics to me is much more black and white, no function-to any new signs of function.
    It just seems cruel to the people living with sci, who've been injured more than 2 weeks for heaven's sake!

  4. #4
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    so I guess chronic sci is not in their radar. So much for the 99.9% of people with sci! Also, nobody will be able to differentiate the therapy as opposed to someone's natural healing within the early stages of sci. Treating chronics to me is much more black and white, no function-to any new signs of function.
    It just seems cruel to the people living with sci, who've been injured more than 2 weeks for heaven's sake!
    many ppl here put politics ahead of cure. don't get caught up into polictics. if esc can make a politican look good or bad, esc can cure everything or nothing...

    many therapies are in trial or begininng trials for CHRONIC sci.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    It just seems cruel to the people living with sci, who've been injured more than 2 weeks for heaven's sake!
    And what good may come from these acute trials? Will the researchers find an offshoot solution for chronic patients? Or to put it another way, are chronic patients worse off because of these acute trials?

  6. #6
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by cvelusc View Post
    And what good may come from these acute trials? Will the researchers find an offshoot solution for chronic patients? Or to put it another way, are chronic patients worse off because of these acute trials?
    maybe...why develope a chronic cure after an acute cure is found.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kratos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lat:+46,034635 Long:+16,619310 Croatia
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    maybe...why develope a chronic cure after an acute cure is found.
    so we all have to dye off?
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

  8. #8
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    so we all have to dye off?
    they can cure sci for future generations with the acute cure at the same time keep the $13 billion medical supply buying chronics population for years...

    every wins...but us...

  9. #9
    "A complete spinal cord injury has no hope of recovery below the injury,"
    Okarma told CNN.

    Thats putting it gently

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodivs View Post
    "A complete spinal cord injury has no hope of recovery below the injury,"
    Okarma told CNN.

    Thats putting it gently
    Honestly, I believe that's BS. I'm more interested in fat cells being differentiated into nerve cells lately. No Immune system suppressant drugs. No controversy. Don't know how it will begin though. I guess there has to be some kind of lobby for it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 151
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 09:06 PM
  2. My Story...Acute SCI Level T10/T11
    By Bonita in forum New SCI
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 03:09 PM
  3. Neurotrauma - Posters by Keyword
    By Steven Edwards in forum Cure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 06:53 AM
  4. Seneca - Ischemic SCI
    By Bareback Jack in forum Tranverse Myelitis, Multiple Sclerosis, Non-traumatic SCI
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2002, 06:58 PM
  5. Dr. John Houle?
    By Josh in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2001, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •