Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geron

Geron

Ok guys, looks like there is a new dawn of hope for SCI cures now that the biblethumping knuckleheads are out of office. So Geron is approved to do some SCI trials with honest to goodness ESC's, how about a recap thread for us to analyse what Geron is doing, and what the current thoughts are regarding the possibilities of this trial?

I gotta say, for a while there I was thinking that I'll be dead before anything happens to try to cure SCI, and this morning I find that a trial is planned out and soon to be underway. Go Geron!

From the NY Times - F.D.A. Approves a Stem Cell Trial

"Geron’s trial will involve 8 to 10 people with severe spinal cord injuries. The cells will be injected into the spinal cord at the injury site 7 to 14 days after the injury occurs, because there is evidence the therapy will not work for much older injuries." - Where did NY times come about this information? I wasn't aware that Geron have done any cronic animal testing?

a friend called me early this AM

I couldn't get on here quick enough to see if true

Thanks Obama
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I just cant excited when i read stuff like this '' because there is evidence the therapy will not work for much older injuries."

Great News .Thank you Obama and all scientists who are working hard to cure SCI.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Ok guys, looks like there is a new dawn of hope for SCI cures now that the biblethumping knuckleheads are out of office. So Geron is approved to do some SCI trials with honest to goodness ESC's, how about a recap thread for us to analyse what Geron is doing, and what the current thoughts are regarding the possibilities of this trial?

I gotta say, for a while there I was thinking that I'll be dead before anything happens to try to cure SCI, and this morning I find that a trial is planned out and soon to be underway. Go Geron!
    but these are the same esc bush approved and funded...

The tests could begin by summer, said Dr. Thomas Okarma, president and CEO of the Geron Corporation. The Food and Drug Administration has approved the trials, which will use human stem cells authorized for research by then-President George W. Bush in 2001...

Quote Originally Posted by topperf View Post
    "The cells will be injected into the spinal cord at the injury site 7 to 14 days after the injury occurs, because there is evidence the therapy will not work for much older injuries." - Where did NY times come about this information? I wasn't aware that Geron have done any cronic animal testing?
    Okarma stated this directly on a CNN interview this a.m.

but...

...older injuries? That's the majority of us folks, and I'm tired of being reminded how I cannot be treated. This is just rubbing it on our faces, and I frankly don't care about someone who is still in the healing stage of sci. Who will know whether the treatments are working, or if it's just a patients healing ability for fuck's sake?!

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    ...older injuries? That's the majority of us folks, and I'm tired of being reminded how I cannot be treated. This is just rubbing it on our faces, and I frankly don't care about someone who is still in the healing stage of sci. Who will know whether the treatments are working, or if it's just a patients healing ability for fuck's sake?!
    Hey man,
    I think we should all be pleased that there finally some trials in the works. I'm pretty sure that the statistics regarding complete injuries and recovering is pretty weak. If anything, this is a great moment for us all to be rallying around and trying to figure out how we can be part of the solution. Who knows what the results will be?
    But, at least there is a beginning. Why not go for the ride -- and maybe be happy for those folks who have the ability to gain function. Perhaps one of these patients is a young child.

Stay positive.