Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm also about to order the ZRAc

i run 1in wheel spaceing w/ 4 degrees its plenty
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Hype62 View Post
    You can also spec for lesser rear wheel spacing and then order extra rear wheel spacers if you need to widen it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i run 1in wheel spaceing w/ 4 degrees its plenty
    Good to know guys, thanks big time.

I brought your post from the other thread here, fuentejps. I hope you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    north, the dump is easy to spec. consider the zr, we [me, scott, sci otr] will help you./
    I'd love to go with the zr but I'm not sure about my exact specs. I'm just estimating. Reason being is because I've never really been comfortable in the A4 I have.

The specs of my A4 are...

18" wide

19" deep

18" seat to footrest

21" front seat to floor

18" rear seat to floor

22" rims/ total height with tires 24"

6" casters on bottom bolt hole of forks

2 degree camber on rear wheels

COG not sure but I'm guessing 3" buy looking at it. (a little tipping going uphill or pushing through gravel)

95 degree back angle (i'm guessing)

The back I have on it was refered to as "the granny back" by the pt/ot's because it was usually used by old grannies.

My biggest problem is reaching the wheels. When my arms hang straight down my palms JUST touch the push rims. So I have to arch my back and lean forward to push. This is one thing I want different on the TiLite... to be able to reach the wheels.
    Last edited by NorthQuad; 01-24-2009 at 08:56 PM.

first major issue: 22" wheels are tiny... are you a midget?

18" rear STF height is an issue too. lowering it a few inches would make a big difference. isn't the A4 adjustable?

you NEED 24" or 25" wheels... those sizes are a matter of preference; i run the latter.

got any photos w/ you in it? if not, get some. one from the side, one from the front.
    Last edited by -scott-; 01-24-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Scott, yeah, those wheels are crazy small.

Yes, the A4 is adjustable and I've dropped the dump from where it was once set by the pt. But if I drop it any more I get bad pressure where my ass stops and my legs begin. Almost in the groin area. I've had black bruising in that area from it. Almost open wound stuff.

With the new chair I plan to go 25" rims.

Here's a couple pics but not with me in it...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...Quad/006-4.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...Quad/005-3.jpg

Whatya think???
    Last edited by NorthQuad; 01-24-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: fixed photos

I would go bigger wheels and smaller casters, but not much smaller maybe just down to 4". What is your A4 angle, it looks like you're angled pretty far out. A 85 will have your feet way more under you.

I don't know what to tell you, it seems you're changing a few important specs going into the Tilite that I would say get the ZRA. At least then you have all that adjustability and it really is just 1 lb heavier. The ZR being fixed may have less issues with having to tighten things over the years, but how tough are you or chairs? I wouldn't mind having to check bolts/screws a few times a year if you have the peace of knowing you can adjust the chair if what you order is a bit off.

In my CAD drawing thread SCI OTR posted pics of the different front angles. I would look at that and make sure you're getting an angle that works for you and doesn't cause you to feel unstable.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

november, I'm not sure what the angle is on the A4. It's way out there making it difficult for me to turn in gravel and other crap surfaces. I think I'll be happy with 85. I'll be able to get closer to stuff I'm reaching for, turn easier, and fit through tighter spaces. I should still be good to go in the stability department.

And yeah, as much as the zr would be nice, I think I should wait until next time around. I need to be safe here. This will be out of my pocket. I won't be disapointed going with the zra, that's for sure. It's a badass sexy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Scott, yeah, those wheels are crazy small.
    yup.

Yes, the A4 is adjustable and I've dropped the dump from where it was once set by the pt. But if I drop it any more I get bad pressure where my ass stops and my legs begin. Almost in the groin area. I've had black bruising in that area from it. Almost open wound stuff.
    but no serious pressure on your ischials? this sounds like it could be a cushion issue. what are you sitting on, a J2 deep?

With the new chair I plan to go 25" rims.
    right on. you'll like that. it may take a bit of time to get used to but you'll push MUCH more efficiently.

yup, I'd hate it. I couldn't function well in that.

How tall are you? Would you need the lateral support on that back if the top of the tires were ~1-3 inches below your elbows w/ your arms relaxed?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    And yeah, as much as the zr would be nice, I think I should wait until next time around. I need to be safe here. This will be out of my pocket. I won't be disapointed going with the zra, that's for sure. It's a badass sexy chair.
    I agree w/ November, actually. The ZRa isn't bad by any means, and it sounds like it may be a safer option w/ this many changes. I bet we could get you fitted pretty close for a ZR, but you may like the flexibility to dial in your options as close as possible once you have it.

If you have the funds, check out Marvel. They're fully adjustable & very well-thought-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    but no serious pressure on your ischials? this sounds like it could be a cushion issue. what are you sitting on, a J2 deep?
    There's always pressure on my ischials. For this reason I have to sit with my butt slid forward a bit. The straighter I sit, (further back I sit) the worse the pressure points become.

I use a ROHO. The Select I think. Four inches thick or so. I started with a J2, then a J2 Deep. Both were bad for me. Went to ROHO and tried a Stimulite. The Stimulite is good but if I'm not sitting just perfectly on it, I'm suffering quickly. The ROHO has been best but nothing has been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    right on. you'll like that. it may take a bit of time to get used to but you'll push MUCH more efficiently.
    I can hardly freakin' wait. I use a power chair the majority of the time right now. If this turns out, I'll probably enjoy being in a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    How tall are you? Would you need the lateral support on that back if the top of the tires were ~1-3 inches below your elbows w/ your arms relaxed?
    Last time I stood I was 6'4". I need lateral support big time. My spine bends to the right all day. I probably correct it 300 times a day, mabey more. There's no lateral support on this power chair back. I've just put up with it. But it needs to be changed.