Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question: going to have outpatient surgery below my injury level.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

question: going to have outpatient surgery below my injury level.....

I've been 'feeling' a bit of discomfort around my lower abs and the doc says I have a hernia and outpatient surgery is needed.

His main concern is AD (I'm a T4). How much of a concern is this? I guess Im a bit worried that my body will realize I've been 'cut' open and tweak out, is this going to happen? I don't think the surgeon is very familiar with SCI, what should I tell him? are there meds I should flag him on after the surgery before I go home?

I had the tip of my femur removed with a spinal block rather than general anethesia and had no problems with AD. What type of anethesia did the doc plan on using?

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    I had the tip of my femur removed with a spinal block rather than general anethesia and had no problems with AD. What type of anethesia did the doc plan on using?
    general injection from my understanding. they're going into my abs down into my testicles.

thank god this is happening POST SCI and not PRE. I can only imagine the pain. My doctor had it and said that technically speaking I should be enduring a burning sensation and the urge to pee every hour. But since I'm incomplete, it just feels like my bladder is full, no pain, just a little discomfort.

Imight - how did they diagnose you? I have a burning in my penis - especially after I strain to have a bowel movement. My doc thought I had an infected prostate. But after taking antibiotics I still have the burning. So, I'm curious how they determined you have a hernia. Thanks, Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Imight - how did they diagnose you? I have a burning in my penis - especially after I strain to have a bowel movement. My doc thought I had an infected prostate. But after taking antibiotics I still have the burning. So, I'm curious how they determined you have a hernia. Thanks, Mike
    basically he just told me to drop em, and cough. said it was a hernia for sure.

My recent surgery the Dr used the spinal block. He is familiar with SCI and specifically did it in reference to AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    basically he just told me to drop em, and cough. said it was a hernia for sure.

Sounds like the physical exam we all got at the beginning of high school football in the 1960's, lol.

hmmm. I would think you might have spasms with just a general. Have you discussed that possibility?

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    hmmm. I would think you might have spasms with just a general. Have you discussed that possibility?
    yep. and the reaction I got was something like "I don't know"

so, that's why I'm here.

I have A LOT of spasms. so I am very worried.

Your surgeon and the anesthesiologist need to have a plan. If you are at risk for AD and have a lot of spasticity, then other than just local anesthesia may be needed to make the surgery safe for you. We often use a spinal anesthetic in situations like this. Insist on a meeting with them prior to the surgery, and take a copy of the AD management clinical practice guidelines from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine with you for each of them (you can download from the Sticky Topics thread at the top of this forum).

Of course your blood pressure must be continously monitored during the surgery, and the anesthesiologist must have medications on hand to immediately control AD if it should occur.

You must also have a plan for dealing with post-operative AD which is fairly common with any surgical procedure. For this reason, a 23 hour hospital stay is strongly encouraged rather than plain outpatient surgery, as you may need to be monitored more closely and have nurses available who can give medications ordered by your physician to control any AD.

(KLD)