Thread: Wheelchair Repair Advice

Wheelchair Repair Advice

I'm in a bad sitution. I have a TDX-3 wheelchair thats about 3 years old. On Friday I was using my w/c and one of the drive wheels fell of the chair. From what I can see it appears that the shaft from the motor that attaches to the wheel sheared off at the point it attaches to the wheel.
    I immediately called my w/c vendor and he came over to look at the chair and he said he's never seen this happen. He also told me that the motor would have to be replaced. I was told that this can be an expensive repair. I am wondring what's the best way to handle this repair.
    This is not the first problem that I've had with my TDX-3. I had to replace the tilt($2200), I've also had to replace a cable from the joy stick to the motor($400) along with several sets of tires($385 for the two large drive tires).

I'm on SSD so my financial situation isnt very good. I'm also on medicare/medicaid in NY.

Any advise on the best way to handle this repair.

Thanks,
    John

My experience has been that if you get Medicare to participate in repairs they then never want to buy you a new one citing the repairs they have handled. I think you may be wiser handling repairs out of pocket if you can. Doesn't Medicare only want to purchase a chair once ever five years? If you can get insurance to cover a new chair you should still fix the one you have to have a completely ready backup. Some states have wheelchair lemon laws which your chair may qualify as. Perhaps you could check with your local Center for Independent Living (CIL) to see if they can advise you.

I have read somewhere that their is a type of lemon law thingy for power chairs, anyone know of it?

Chair Repair

I suggest you contact www.WheelchairMedic.com which is part of the United Spinal Association headquartered in New York.

Also, if not a member, join United Spinal Association, there's no cost and you receive a well edited magazine six times annually.

It's so damn frustrating to know self-repairs to ones wheelchair are no longer possible due to SCI.

Best of luck.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

There are vendors in NY that handle repairs and medicare will pay for it and if not they can get you a new one. I am going thru that situation now where I need a new wheelchair, since my five years are up this year. But in between those years medicare will pay for the repairs.

Hi Chrl,
    You mentioned that there are vendors in NY that handle repairs with medicare. Would it be possible for you to send me the info for the vendor(s).
    Thanks,
    John

Try this site and maybe the guy who owns it can give you some ideas? It is a very useful site. Good luck!

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/forums/ubbthreads.php