Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My Pain Doctor in WA state Raided, I am without my meds! Help!?!

Quote Originally Posted by megghegg View Post
    Incidentally, I'm not in any pain at all (and never have been). lol...
    Then your point? COuld you fill out your profile perhaps?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I doubt she will be back.

Perhaps she knows someone in pain?

I know this forum has gone slightly off topic, but ..

I'm 20 years old, moved to washington about 2 years ago after I got married. I've had chronic severe back pain, for about 2 1/2 years now. I've been to many different doctors, and tried different things .. The only thing that works is pain medication. I was told I had fibromyalgia, but no one did definite tests, although it runs in my family. I'm not sure if the back pain is connected to that or not, but either or .. Both bring me a severe amount of pain. No doctor ever wants to prescribe me anything (except maybe muscle relaxers such as noproxin that I can't take because I'm allergic) .. I'm assuming its because of my age, and assuming I'm a drug seeker. I've never done narcotics for recreational activities, nor have I ever tried any other drugs. It is very difficult to deal with on a day to day basis .. I can't sleep, I can't get out of bed sometimes. I feel 50 years older than I should. I'm at my witz end. I don't know what to do .. I don't know of a good doctor to go to .. That will help me with my pain .. Yes prescribing some type of pain med would be ideal, but I also would like to find out what's wrong with me. It's not fun to be my age, and be in this much pain all the time. I should be at the top of my game, with energy .. And I'm not. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

I am so sorry you're having so much pain and trouble.

While I am perfectly fine with people taking pain medication, when they need it, I agree very much with one of the things you said. You're young, and you don't know what's wrong with you. In your shoes, I'd very much want to know, if possible, before just taking pain meds for what - forever? That's what some people do need, but to try to figure out a diagnosis first, when possible, strikes me as a good idea.

Can you go somwhere - a university, a big pain clinic, out of state if you need to - and get a workup, to try to figure out just what's wrong? Perhaps do not ask those same people for meds, just diagnosis.

In treating your pain, it would be very helpful to know if you have muscle pain, nerve pain, or both. The different types of pain respond better to different medications and treatments sometimes.

Then, if whatever is wrong cannot be fixed, and you need pain medications - I don't know anywhere to recommend - I've heard of one person who went to CA to see their pain doc. You just have to find someone that will work with you, I'm sorry I don't have any better advice than that.

You said "noproxin" - did you perhaps mean naproxin? If so, that is not a muscle relaxor, it is an anti-inflammatory. There are, however, many muscle relaxors and perhaps a doctor would let you try one and see if it helps.

SSNovember -
    I also live in Washington. You could contact the University of Washington in Seattle, they are very good. There's several very good hospitals in Seattle where you can be diagnosed (hopefully) and helped. Good luck, and please let us know how you're doing.

I'm not sure where to go. I've had a lot of tests done, between x-rays .. and blood tests, and no one can figure out what's wrong. I went to my doctor today .. He gave me cymbalta and imitrex for my migraines. But I keep telling him what works and what doesn't and he just keeps giving me different stuff to try. I am completely fine with that, but while I'm his guinea pig I'd like to atleast be somewhat pain free for a month. He's a really kind older gentleman, and seems to care .. But I don't know if I should see another doctor or not. I found one pain management doctor, but he wants $100 dollars up front then that goes towards the next apt which is $400 and $150 every appointment after .. I could afford $1-200 maybe but that's too much .. I have tricare so hopefully I can find a place that accepts that. So if anyone has any pain managemnt recomendations let me know. I've received vicoden before, a months supply .. and that ended up lasting me 3 months .. I really only take them when I absolutely need them. So I hope a doctor can just understand that. My doctor is nice, but the nurse is an older lady and she's kind of a bitch .. so I think she like tells him not to give me anything. I'm worried about trying all these different meds because of side effects as well. AGH so frustrating.

And, yes I meant naproxin ha sorry. It gives me really bad chest pains and anxiety not sure why but it does that to my mom and my sister too.

Quote Originally Posted by ssnovember View Post
    I found one pain management doctor, but he wants $100 dollars up front then that goes towards the next apt which is $400 and $150 every appointment after .. I could afford $1-200 maybe but that's too much .. I have tricare so hopefully I can find a place that accepts that. too.
    Hi SSNov.

Coleen's recommendation looks great regarding a pain clinic at the Univ of Washington. http://depts.washington.edu/anesth/. Have you tried them?

"" The Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine at the University of Washington has a long history of leadership in academic anesthesia, innovating to provide outstanding outcome driven clinical care and pain therapies, as well as excellence in critical care and other academic areas....""

First.. stay away from any 'pain doctor' who tells you to pay him or her out of pocket $100.00 up front. Sounds like a scam to me. I would look for a teaching hospital with a legitimate pain clinic. Often the best clinics are covered by your insurance company. Your primary care doctor may be able to refer you to one. I personally have benefited from a multidisciplinary holistic approach, not just focusing on pharmacological (drug) approach to pain management. Looking at alternatives to lessen the amount of medication so as to avoid liver damage, addiction/dependence, or other complications and side-effects. I like natural options. Some of these programs will provide access to physical therapy and exercise programs (swimming,etc), acupuncture/acupressure, biofeedback, psychiatric evaluation for depression, support groups, massage or other type of programs, with the focus on the consumer being the one in charge. I found this link online about these type of programs. http://www.theacpa.org/people/pain_program.asp

I like to check out a doctor first, or referred from a trusted source. Also, I was unable to find the Washington State Board of Licensure for Medical Doctors website, but found this and they may be able to direct you. http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/MQAC/Default.htm. I found this link to another pain management program (don't personally know of any doctors in WA or can I recommend but thought I would pass along in case this is helpful in any way)...http://pain.wustl.edu/page.aspx?NavID=78)

Good luck!
    Last edited by med100; 01-30-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add link

I need help finding a doctor who will prescribe me pain medication such as methadone or oxycodone if anyone can private message me it would be greatly appreciated I was diagnosed with facet arthrosis and carpull tunell syndrom and work in construction and fight my pain everyday help would be appreciated! god bless Tacoma wa.

Sorry, I don't know any doctors. Methadone would be pretty heavy duty if you're not already on meds, just btw.

Can't they do surgery for your carpal tunnel? And/or physical therapy?

I hope you can get some help - I'm sorry for your pain.

yes they can do surgery for the carpal tunnel but it would put me out of work and I run my own construction company but my back they cant