Thread: New pain

New pain

Boy, I really got the short end of the stick with all of this "disability" stuff. First, when I was 15 I cracked my skull. It was a miserable month after that but I survived with very little wrong with me afterwards. I was still able bodied and still didn't have to take any medication for it. When I was 22 I broke my neck hitting my head in the bottom of the pool. I'm pretty sure that left at the pretty bad concussion but we weren't too concerned about that considering I couldn't move. I've had a few concussions since and wham, since 2010 I've had epilepsy. Seizures drive me nuts and the medication is even worse. I'm in a perpetual state of d?j? vu but okay, I can kind of deal with it. Now recently I've gotten feeling back in my lower back and my left hip. I'll tell you what, I have sympathy for anyone who has back pain. My back hurts so bad at night that sometimes I can't sleep the matter what I do for pain medication. To top that off, my left hip feels like it's broken although we know it's not. Laying on my left side hurts really bad along with shoulder pain on the right side so laying on the right side is no fun either. Well that's all I have to complain about now. I'm just freaking miserable with this pain.

Oh, and I do have an excellent pain doctor who does my baclofen pump and everything. I'm very reluctant to put pain meds back in my baclofen pump because last time I did that they just made me dumb. She's done great work with spasms and is listened to me about all my problems. We're going to try the spinal stimulator next but I'm having a hard time getting approval for just the testing stim.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Hey Rye,
    We have some similar areas of discomfort and sleep problem due to shoulders, hip and back pain etc. I had some very bad back pain for a while, was having to lie down 2-3 times a day and thought it was over! I had changed my seating position a hundred times and finally I got lucky and bumped into Troy from Box wheelchairs who offered up some different ideas for seating changes. It's night and day different now and I rarely lie down during the day anymore. After I read your post, I realized I lost the hip pain too! I loosened the back upholstery a reasonable amount and the seat sling at the rear, basically adjusting dump and sag. My shoulder is a whole new nightmare which is why I'm on the forum, looking for advice! I hope this possibly might help you, Best of luck cause we all need good sleep

I'm going to set up a new seating evaluation. Hopefully that'll help fix the problem. I'm due for a new chair. I think this one's going to be a power chair. The one I have is 13 years old and vocational rehab is requiring a power chair otherwise I would go for power assist wheels. Oh well, I need a job
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.