View Poll Results: In selecting a therapist/counselor, would you rather go to someone with an SCI?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they might "get" SCI more than someone who is AB.

    10 45.45%
  • No, I'd rather go to an AB therapist.

    1 4.55%
  • It would make no difference to me either way.

    11 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Need Imput on a Career (Social Work/Therapy)

  1. #11
    I am wanting to go back to school to become a therapist in a rehab center for newly injured SCI's. Where do I start?
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

  2. #12
    All things considered I would rather go to a veterinarian. They are trained to help when the patient cannot tell them where it hurts.
    T6 complete

  3. #13
    Senior Member uscmolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    171
    Thanks all so far for your imput! I knew I could count on CC Your feedback and the PMs I've received have given me a lot to consider, so thank you!

    All of the programs (both counseling and SW) I am looking at have a strong clinical focus, so I don't think that either route would leave me without the education and training I would need to move forward in therapy. I'm fortunate that here in SoCal, we have some great programs available. And as Chick pointed out, both the LCSW and MFT require clinical hours before licensure, and in California, you must be licensed.

    And just to answer my own poll, I would rather go to someone with an SCI, all other things being equal.

    Seenkid101--I'm off to PT right now, but I'll drop you a PM later to give you some information on where to start and what I've researched so far.

    Thanks again everyone, I'm glad I posted this poll!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #14
    Senior Member Aly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Radford, Va
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by knowthill View Post
    All things considered I would rather go to a veterinarian. They are trained to help when the patient cannot tell them where it hurts.
    Hum...I have spent the last two days with a very low to non-verbal client trying to figure out why he has been having aggressive outburst. I'll let you know in a week if my observations led me in the right direction in helping him.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

  5. #15
    Senior Member uscmolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    171
    I got thinking about my poll yesterday, and I have to say I'm a little surprised that someone would rather go to an AB therapist. I'm not talking about the "doesn't make a difference" category--I can understand that viewpoint.

    I'm just curious as to why you'd prefer an AB therapist? If the person who answered that way doesn't feel comfortable posting here, can you PM me the answer? Not judging, just curious Thanks!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #16
    Senior Member Aly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Radford, Va
    Posts
    2,112
    I would not base my decision on whether or not they had a disability but their qualifications to handle the situation I was seeing them for. People are trained in different areas of care. I also would not want them to try and compare their life to mine, (I had this happen when I was in counseling while in rehab). When I refer my clients out for clinical services I look into the clients background and decide which therapist would be better for that individuals history (depression, bi-polar, anger outburst, MR, MI, PTSD) and then look at the therapasts theory base. Some of my clients need a more directive approach while others just need someone to listen, validate and offer some suggestions to motivate them.

    When I was in therapy my disability was the lest of my problems yet the only thing people wanted to focus on until I found the right therapist that would let me talk about the issues that I needed to deal with. I had some magor pent up anger issues from my childhood of abuse on many levels. I know many here will not understand this but my being a quad has been the smallest hurtle in my life of dysfunctions. Hope this helps as to why I voted the way I did, (would not matter either one).
    Last edited by Aly; 01-24-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

  7. #17
    Senior Member uscmolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    I would not base my decision on whether or not they had a disability but their qualifications to handle the situation I was seeing them for. People are trained in different areas of care. I also would not want them to try and compare their life to mine, (I had this happen when I was in counseling while in rehab). When I refer my clients out for clinical services I look into the clients background and decide which therapist would be better for that individuals history (depression, bi-polar, anger outburst, MR, MI, PTSD) and then look at the therapasts theory base. Some of my clients need a more directive approach while others just need someone to listen, validate and offer some suggestions to motivate them.

    When I was in therapy my disability was the lest of my problems yet the only thing people wanted to focus on until I found the right therapist that would let me talk about the issues that I needed to deal with. I had some magor pent up anger issues from my childhood of abuse on many levels. I know many here will not understand this but my being a quad has been the smallest hurtle in my life of dysfunctions. Hope this helps as to why I voted the way I did, (would not matter either one).
    Hey Aly...thanks for the feedback. I understand your viewpoint, and agree. I was really referring to the "I'd prefer an AB therapist" answer. Maybe the comparing injuries/life issue? I could see that as a concern.

    Oh, and I should say that my intention with the poll was that you have two equally qualified/specialized therapists to choose from...one AB and one with a SCI. I don't think I was clear about that part. Also, I'm specifically curious about new SCIs who are seeking therapy because of their injury.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by uscmolly View Post
    Hey Aly...thanks for the feedback. I understand your viewpoint, and agree. I was really referring to the "I'd prefer an AB therapist" answer. Maybe the comparing injuries/life issue? I could see that as a concern.

    Oh, and I should say that my intention with the poll was that you have two equally qualified/specialized therapists to choose from...one AB and one with a SCI. I don't think I was clear about that part. Also, I'm specifically curious about new SCIs who are seeking therapy because of their injury.

    I think the answer to why someone with SCI might prefer an AB'd therapist probably has to do with where she/he is in her/his identity development as a disabled person. There are various models of identity development out there for various groups of people. It's interesting stuff.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

  9. #19
    Senior Member uscmolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    I think the answer to why someone with SCI might prefer an AB'd therapist probably has to do with where she/he is in her/his identity development as a disabled person. There are various models of identity development out there for various groups of people. It's interesting stuff.
    Good point, Danine. Thanks
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Similar Threads

  1. Wiped out by the wait
    By Max in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •