Thread: James Taylor

James Taylor

I didn't grow up with his music but I was turned on to his songs when he would come on Howard Stern and I became a fan, I love when he and Carly come on the show they're so candid about their relationship and why it ended. But today he played at Obama's Inaugural celebration and he looked and sounded great along with those who joined him in his song "shower the people". Do you have a fav James Taylor tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mB51lNpnpQ

Oh yes! Fire and Rain is my favorite.

When my son was born, I thought his nurse was mean. She was hassling me because he was crying and I wouldn't let her feed him; all the books said to wait for your milk to come in. In the middle of the night I made her bring him to me, and sat up, sliced hipbone to hipbone and in a temporary milk free zone, and rocked him all night. Didn't know any lullabies, but I knew some JT!

I sang

"Good night you moonlight ladies
    Rock a bye sweet baby Jake
    Deep greens and blues
    Are the colors I choose
    Won't you let me go down in my dreams
    And rock a bye sweet baby Jake."

(It's supposed to be Sweet Baby James, that's even the title of the album. I recommend you buy it, as well as Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon.)

There's not a bad song on those albums, I've owned them since I was 14. They remain wonderful. I never really knew his music after Carly. It seemed like I'd known him to hit perfection, so there was no need.

In the 90's, my much younger co-worker and I used to have an ongoing Free Pass debate: James Taylor or Jimmy Buffett? I need to call her. I sure she hasn't made her mind up yet, either.

ETA: Fire and Rain is beautiful. When I was an angsty emo teen, it expressed me for me. Now I'm old and have seen too much grief and random tragedy, so Fire and Rain is too sad for me now. Too many times it's happened. "But I always thought I'd see you again..."

Those were good years for music. I remember always needing to have a job because there was an album or a concert I was going to die without. Clothes were important to me but the music came even ahead of fashion.
    Last edited by betheny; 01-19-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Interesting JT trivia: James Taylor was the first artist signed when the Beatles started their own Label, Apple Corp. (Yes, Steve jobs got sued and eventually paid a settlement).

Seeing the sweet young boy on that first album (vinyl record) so full of beautiful, bittersweet songs...

"I don't know no love songs, and I can't sing the blues anymore.

But I can sing this song, and you can sing this song when I'm gone."
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Last edited by Foolish Old; 01-19-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: double post
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Interesting JT trivia: James Taylor was the first artist signed when the Beatles started their own Label, Apple Corp. (Yes, Steve jobs got sued and eventually paid a settlement).

Seeing the sweet young boy on that first album (vinyl record) so full of beautiful, bittersweet songs...

"I don't know no love songs, and I can't sing the blues anymore.

But I can sing this song, and you can sing this song when I'm gone."
    He was but a pup at the time...and reading that line gave me chills. I'm interested to know if it moves this new generation, that wasn't even a gleam, back then. Or did you have to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    He was but a pup at the time...and reading that line gave me chills. I'm interested to know if it moves this new generation, that wasn't even a gleam, back then. Or did you have to be there?
    No, you didn't have to be there. I was, but my kids and their friends loved JT and Carole King, both.

Written By Carole, but they both sing it well:

They'll take your soul if you let them, but don't you let them.

I sang that to my lil brothers and sisters after my mom died, when times were tough. Message was, keep it together, be yourself, don't be influenced by the bad crowd. It half worked, half the time
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

If you like James Taylor, rent the movie "Two Lane Blacktop." He was a
    terrible actor when that movie was made, but he's still a great musician.
    It's an old drag racing movie.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I sang that to my lil brothers and sisters after my mom died, when times were tough. Message was, keep it together, be yourself, don't be influenced by the bad crowd. It half worked, half the time
    Nice. That song carried me through a very tough time in life also. My 15 year-old granddaughter loves it. It's timeless.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama