Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What gun to get for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by duge View Post
    Talk about a handgun..... my son bought himself a Judge last week. qouted to be the ultimate gun for protection!
    You're right. They can't keep them in the stores. Not what I'd recommend to the OP but a helluva little weapon.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

arndog - I just traded my .357 snubby for a 38 special that has a little lock on it (I have an 8 year old son who has no idea where I keep it, but just incase). Regarding the AFOs - I've learned to walk around the house without them. That's the first thing that comes off when I get home. Although my feet drag, and my balance isn't as good as it is with the AFOs on, it's still good enough. I'm confident that if someone broke in, I would be able to protect my son and myself (we have a plan worked out incase something like that ever happens). When I had the .357 (it had a 3/4 in. barrel), I kept 38 hollow points, so the recoil isn't as bad. If you use your cane in your dominant hand, maybe some target practice using your other hand would help. I'm lucky enough that I use my cane in my left hand, but shoot with my right hand (which I'm right handed). Good luck in finding something that works for you. Keep us posted!
    Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

But the stopping power of the .357 is so much more cozy.
    Andrew

Agreed! Which is why I traded the pistol to my father, on the condition that he wouldn't sell or trade it. So, I still have access to it when I feel like relieving a little bit of stress.
    Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScream View Post
    But the stopping power of the .357 is so much more cozy.
    On a practical basis, I couldn't recommend a .357 for a home defense round. A single shot, especially indoors, without hearing protection could potentially be enough to do permanent damage to your hearing. Also, they're notorious for nasty muzzle flash. In a dark room that can ruin your night vision if you're contending with a night-time intruder.

Besides, if I want to go "big", gimme a S&W 500 Magnum! I actually know a guy who conceal-carries one of those every day.

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg View Post
    On a practical basis, I couldn't recommend a .357 for a home defense round. A single shot, especially indoors, without hearing protection could potentially be enough to do permanent damage to your hearing. Also, they're notorious for nasty muzzle flash. In a dark room that can ruin your night vision if you're contending with a night-time intruder.

Besides, if I want to go "big", gimme a S&W 500 Magnum! I actually know a guy who conceal-carries one of those every day.
    Here's a nice scenario for the .357 being wretched excess...picture a S&W hammerless J-frame with some nice 158 grain hunting rounds . It sure made a big boom for sure, and after a box of 'em the bottom of my trigger finger was bleeding . Gun held up ok though, just seemed a bit looser after that 'test'.

Those crimson trace lasers seem interesting, nice and tucked in. Might think of looking into that as I'm sure my Trijicons on the Glock probably are dim now. Might make up for rusty shooting skillz too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Here's a nice scenario for the .357 being wretched excess...picture a S&W hammerless J-frame with some nice 158 grain hunting rounds . It sure made a big boom for sure, and after a box of 'em the bottom of my trigger finger was bleeding . Gun held up ok though, just seemed a bit looser after that 'test'.
    Yeah, I've heard plenty from other people about the experience of shooting .357's out of an Airweight J-frame. Still, I don't know that it would compete with the 500 Mag, even with a heavy steel X-frame. I've only fired a couple of cylinders through that gun and it's impressive. I have a picture of a guy with a new "eyebrow" after shooting the 500. Ironically, he's the guy who brought a McMillan TAC-50 to the range that day. I was shooting 300g loads in the 500, but factory loads from Corbon go up to 440 +P, and it's possible to hand load cast bullets up to 725g. It you want to do a little reading on the 500, here's an interesting paper from John Ross. He had the S&W Performance Center produce a version of the 500 to his own specs for better performance.
    http://john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf

Those crimson trace lasers seem interesting, nice and tucked in. Might think of looking into that as I'm sure my Trijicons on the Glock probably are dim now. Might make up for rusty shooting skillz too, lol.
    I can vouch for them. On New Year's Day I did a little casual IDPA-style shooting at a friend's place in the country and I was surprised to find that even in a rush and on the move in full daylight, you can still pick out the red dot on the target if you're paying attention. About the only disadvantage other than the price is that the bulge of the laser precludes the possibility of having an ambidextrious thumb safety on a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz99 View Post
    if i could use my hands, i'd get a pump shotgun. it's loud when you load it and there's no mistaking that noise for anyone in the near vacinity. it says "i'm locked and loaded. c'mon!"
    the only time i have ever used a gun for home defense

a few summers ago my niece was laying behind my house sun bathing, i heard this car with loud pipes come down the road, about 15 minutes later i heard the car again, niece came back in the house & said there were some guys stopped up the road watching her, i went outside to take a look, there were 3 guys standing around drinking beer with the hood up on there car. i came back in the house then started thinking second time this car went by and it breaks down right at the corner about 1/8 mile from my house with a perfect view of my house whats the odds? i went back out to take another look and see one of the guys walking towards my house, i came back in loaded about 10rds in my ak47 clip, guy knocks on door niece answered, the guy said there car overheated and they needed some water, about that time i pulled the bolt back and let it zing back into place, i was about 15ft from them and out of there site, niece came back and said wow that was weird , he ask for water then just took off running, setting there with my gun i kinda laughed she said what did you do, i said could have been something like the sound of a gun getting ready to fire, i went back outside that guy was hoofin it hard up the hill they all jumped in the car it started and ran just fine.

if you have a very large house you might try one of these

http://www.anzioironworks.com/

I shot a .40 indoors and it sounded like the wrath of god. Yeah bad for the hearing!
    Andrew

Remington 870 shotgun in the 12 gauge flavor spitting out 00 Buck ( a one ounce load contains nine pellets each about the size of a 22 LR slug). Replace the butt stock with the Pistol handgrip type if legal in your state, extended tube magazine, accessior rail for flashlight, laser scope or whatever other items you wish to have on the gun. As prevesioly mentioned, nothing makes a person stop what they are doing and start sweating bullets than the sound of a round entering the chamber on a shotgun. I currently have a cancelled weapons permit and I carry a Ruger P 90 decocker 9mm in the stainless steel model cocked and locked at all times.
    Last edited by nevada; 01-22-2009 at 10:36 PM.