Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun to get for home defense?

Revolver, for reliability. If the first round doesn't fire, just pull the trigger again, and you get a whole new bullet.

Short barreled Remington 870 express magnum holstered to your bed like on a horse.

If you buy a used 870 and cut it down, from what I remember barrel length must be min. 18" per federal law.
    Andrew

The OP didn’t ask about federal law, did he

Jon, if this is strictly for home defense I would suggest a pump shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot, unless you want to have something that you can keep on you at all times that you're in the house.

If you do want a handgun and it doesn't have to be concealable, then there's a wide selection of full-sized semi-auto handguns that will serve well. Much of it will figure into your budget and, to some extent, your willingness to practice. You might also consider something that can accept a Crimson Trace laser grip. There are some handguns that have this option available directly from the factory, but if you go to the Crimson Trace website you can see all their product offerings. You'll want something from 9mm on up in caliber. For a first handgun you might hold back from a .40 cal just because that's a higher pressure load with a "snappier" recoil.

Once you select your firearm, pick a good quality ammo. My personal preference is for loads that use the all-copper Barnes XPB bullets, which are used in cartridges from a few different companies such as the Corbon DPX ammo. That's just one pick, there are many good hollowpoint loads available.

Find a local range with rental guns and spend a little money trying out different options to get a feel for what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    The OP didn’t ask about federal law, did he
    If he has to use it and gets caught with a short sawed off, bad bad things can happen to him. That's why I mentioned it.
    Andrew

trying them out first and having someone teach you is a great idea. i have seen some pretty nice .410 double barrels for home defence....

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Short barreled Remington 870 express magnum holstered to your bed like on a horse.
    12ga.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...gs=pagenum%3D1

good old M60
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

There's not much advice i can give here that hasn't already been said. Like several others have said, a good double action revolver in .357Mag/.38Spl with a 4 or 6 inch barrel is probably the best choice. Revolvers are relatively simple to operate, you can save your brass (and learn to reload, which is a whole new hobby in and of itself) and they're usually a little less expensive than autoloaders.
    ancientgimp said that staying in your room is the best course of action, and this is true. Nothing in the house is worth getting hurt over except you and your loved ones, and by getting up and about to confront a potential intruder you give away a basic tactical advantage (barricade defense vs. mobility), all the more so with your having to use an AFO and cane to ambulate. Best to slide behind the bed and use it as a barricade. Chances are that your dogs will make a snack out of any intruders anyway!

I would also highly recommend you get a .22LR handgun, either revolver (ironically, .22 revolvers tend to cost more) or autoloader. Simply put, you have to practice the basics and nowadays with ammo prices having gone crazy .22 is about the only thing one can afford to shoot much. And besides, its a lot of fun too

Try before you buy, take your time regardless of what you decide to get, do your homework - decide what you need and want in a firearm, etc, and save up your money. Always, ALWAYS treat firearms with respect and responsibility - and particularly if you have kids in the house. Like all of us, I knew where everything in the house was. Your kids will too, and it's naturally up to you to teach them the appropriate responsibility. And most of all, enjoy your new gun!

Tom