Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun to get for home defense?

What gun to get for home defense?

I need some advice from people who own guns.
    I am a walking incomplete para with normal upper body strength and dexterity.
    I want to purchase my first gun for basic home defense.
    Issues I am concerned with:
    1. For me to get out of bed to check on an intruder, I can either get in my w/c or take 2 minutes to put my afo and shoes on and walk (unsteadily) . I have to walk with a can in my right hand (the hand I would hold a pistol in). What works well in these scenarios?

2. If I am unsteady, would the recoil be an issue in choosing the right weapon?

Thanks ahead of time for your input...
    Jon

I have a Smith & Wesson Concealed Carry Model 642 revolver

It's lightweight, fits my hand well and not much recoil at the range.

First thing you should learn is how to handle/clean/shoot a handgun before you buy. Talk to your local National Rifle Association Chapter and ask them for help. That is what they are there for. Then you can make an informed decision based on your capabilities and needed deterrence.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

If you have kids or other family members to defend, then there is a reason to get up, if not, I recommend you stay put in bed. If you hear an intruder first check to make sure your wife is in bed next to you, not wandering around the house sleepless sounding like an intruder. If she's there then call 911 quietly on the phone placed strategically next to your bed. Keep your pistol bedside, suggest revolver not an automatic. Have a nightlight just outside your bedroom door so the intruder will be backlit if he comes to the doorway. If he gets that far shoot him dead center mass. If he is just taking your stuff elsewhere in the house there is nothing worth killing over unless there are other family members needing defending.

If you have kids in the house think twice, three times about bringing a gun into the house. When I was a kid I knew where everything my parents owned was. That would have included the key to the trigger lock. My experience in the military is that if you give an American a loaded weapon, people are going to die by accident or on purpose even if there are no enemy available.

yes you should definitely take a shooting course. there is usually a handgun certification class. and start practicing more at a range.

definitely shoot from your chair or stay in bed. if you're unsteady then you shouldn't be packing a loaded gun much less shooting it. probably all you'll need to do is yell from your bedroom that you've called the cops & that you have a gun.

Let me ask this, If you have been going to a Physciatrist for your medicine like I have, I'm on Luvox but have had some depression like most here, & a little OCD But I would love to have a personal protection permit. Can you get one with have bing taken meds like this?

Quote Originally Posted by duge View Post
    Let me ask this, If you have been going to a Physciatrist for your medicine like I have, I'm on Luvox but have had some depression like most here, & a little OCD But I would love to have a personal protection permit. Can you get one with have bing taken meds like this?
    Not in most states if you truthfully answer the questions on the buyers permit. Some states just ask if you've been hospitalized for a mental illness. I'd suggest an alarm system if you're depressed and live alone. Have the master control in your bedroom so you can see from bed if you turned it all on at night..the OCD.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

My nurses complained about my having guns in the house and the staffing agency made me give them to my daughter across the street.I am in the process of lining up a new staffing agency.

If I am unsteady, would the recoil be an issue in choosing the right weapon?
    Best way to find out is to try before you buy. Call around to your local ranges and see which ones rent handguns, then go rent some. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one that will work for you.

This is my usual CCW, S&W 325 in .45 acp. Titanium cylinder, scandium frame, so it's quite lightweight. Lightweight + major caliber = heavy recoil.

A handgun that isn't going to be carried can be larger and heavier, minimizing recoil. Take a look at models like the S&W M&P semiauto with an under barrel rail for attaching a light. It would make a dandy nightstand gun. Being able to see what you are pointing the gun at is always a good idea...

Local ranges are also a place to ask questions and perhaps to be put in contact with experienced shooters who are almost always happy to help.

Good luck...

Joe

Thanks, all , for your thoughtful ideas. I am going to try out guns with a friend who knows I am a total beginner this Thursday afternoon at a local range. He has done lots of courses and has been into shooting for years. But I will share with him the advice that you are giving too. I will let you all know how it goes after Thursday.
    jon