Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What gun to get for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    I carry a Ruger P 90 decocker in the stainless steel model cocked and locked at all times.
    Hey, that was my first gun!

Yeah Andy it is a sweet shooting gun and being able to carry it ready to rock and roll with out the worry of an accidental discharge is a great piece of mind.

haha too funny. lets get a gun. shoot someone else into a chair.

that america for you. golden idea!! buy the biggest one you can get. keep it loaded under the pillow if your lucky u shoot the shadow in your room b4 u kill yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
    haha too funny. lets get a gun. shoot someone else into a chair.

bang

If you are in my house and you shouldn't be. I will shoot you.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Well, I finally had my introduction to firearms and it was a blast (pun). I got a chance to shoot a .358mag/38, a 1911 45 semiautomatic which I liked the best so far, and a 9mm double action. I could stand without holding my cane, and discharge these and the recoil was not that bad.
    I got rid of my initial fear of a loaded weapon and really enjoyed the target shooting.
    I do appreciate all the good replies on this thread.
    I need to go to the shooting range again to process all that I learned and think it over.
    Hopefully next week, my friend can take me there again.

Confession time: Sometimes, people shoot guns all their life for fun. Then they get involved with shooting sport instruction... become NRA Certified Instructror in rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzle loader rifle, home safety, PLUS become a Range Safety Officer.

A couple of points not made thus far: Are your in your own house... or apartment? Anyone else in the house and usually in another room? Since wall penetration is sometimes big deal, the professionals recommend a shotgun with bird shot. at distances less than 40 feet, the discharge is most injurious. At distances less than 25 feet, the wound is highly lethal. (shoot bird shot into a half-inch plywood at various distances for evaluation. You quickly understand.)

Rounds such as 9mm are not that popular in law enforcement. Preference is 40 and 45 acp. Revolvers are the most reliable for 6 or 7 shots. The 357-sig round is an 1800fps round designed to penetrate automobile... hence used by DPS/Highway Patrol in Texas.

As noted, racking a shotgun is a universally understood signal.

Youth have less of a chance for personal injury TO THEMSELVES with a shotgun. Pistols, however, are perhaps slightly more convenient.

Personal 5-button key vaults cost about 50-80 bucks on the low end. Essential if youth are in the house with pistols. Plus the 5-key entry is also a sobriety and cognitive awareness test for the owner of the firearm.

For fun shooting, try floor tile... uninstalled, of course. Easy to get it free... and the target is reactive.

Double action shooting is amazingly difficult when it comes to tight-group accuracy. But for most high quality semi=auto pistols, the second shot is single action for sure. (Glocks are called double action... but they are far closer to single action guns when it comes to trigger creep.)

If you buy a pistol for personal protection, as opposed to target shooting, get one with an adequate trigger pull, assuming you have moderate hand function. Light triggers are not recommended for home protection. If you want the hardest-to-pull factory trigger, the Glocks are available with a "New York" trigger... something like 11 or 12 pound pull.

Check out www.cdnninvestments.com for reasonable "deals" on good used pistols.

And practice regularly. Clean the gun afterwards. Never use WD=40. Talk to a good gunsmith. Gander Mountain has one, usually.

And for a gun that is almost 100 years old in design, the 1911 45 ACP pistol is still popular in law enforcement. Wonderful safety systems. Of course, the rack-the-slide is a hand and grip strength issue. But then again, a youth (under 8) has a tough time racking in a round on most semi-autos.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Well, I finally had my introduction to firearms and it was a blast (pun). I got a chance to shoot a .358mag/38, a 1911 45 semiautomatic which I liked the best so far, and a 9mm double action. I could stand without holding my cane, and discharge these and the recoil was not that bad.
    I got rid of my initial fear of a loaded weapon and really enjoyed the target shooting.
    I do appreciate all the good replies on this thread.
    I need to go to the shooting range again to process all that I learned and think it over.
    Hopefully next week, my friend can take me there again.
    Sounds like you had a good time, Jon. I'm quite fond of the .45 in a 1911 as well. Because you use a cane, if you go this route it would probably be a good idea to get one that's ambidextrious so you aren't fumbling for the safety if it's in your left hand.

Given the cost of ammo these days, i recently got into reloading for my .45. That's another hobby all to itself, but it is saving me money. Either that, or at least I'm practicing more for the same money.

See if you can try out a Glock, that's my favorite. No funny levers to monkey with, you pull the trigger and it goes off. And that trigger first pull is much like single action instead of having to go though a double action pull with anything else 1911's excluded (but I cant get myself to be comfortable with a fully charged hammer spring being held by ~1mm of metal at the sear so those arent my choice).

Did I mention that I really like the Glock 19?

Keep the Mossberg 500 pistol grip, #4 buckshot beside the bed. House is real small, so whoever decides to enter unwelcomed will catch hell.

Dunno Jon,
    But there is always the option of a two-ring-defence. Like say in the inner ring of you’re lot or house you make a ring of outside of that with electronic radars and devises to automatically kill the intruders, all connected to a main control room in you’re home. Then on the second line (ring) of defence, all detectors, and weapons comes to play. Like automatic cluster bombs released from the first line of defence. All from you’re kitchen switchgear contolrom?