Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Grateful for being differently abled

Grateful for being differently abled

I read some folks here and elsewhere who seem very bitter and resentful. I guess having 12 step program that tells me that if I’m still breathing and conscious I’ll probably be ok has a lot to do with my attitude.

In recovery we talk about keeping a state of gratitude and looking for similarities and not differences. Believe it or not I’m grateful for my physical differences. By ditching or having to ditch a lot of the internally and externally imposed expectations, I’ve liberated myself to be able to explore a lot of interests and personality quirks.

If you saw me now, you see a shaved, earring and septum ring, jazz dot wearing muscle freak, a far cry from the insecure conformist I was a few years ago. Ive gone from a loose fitting shapeless stuff to a skin tight exhibitionist, shopping for my first tattoos. I’m wanting “Bruder” across my traps and speed flames on my forearms. My best buddies are powerlifters and bodybuilders and triathletes, all clean and sober and just this side of wacked.

I’m no longer focused on how many toys I have as much as what my quality of life is and taking care of myself and my relationships.

I relish change and growth.

Anyone else feel this way?

Cheers

Brock

Interesting.....

...wouldn't you rather be a clean, sober muscle freak able to take part in triathlons with your best buddies?

Yep and thats what I'm planning on doing! I have a new racing chair on the way and going to a wheeler sports boot camp next weekend.

USAT has PC (Physically Challenged) classifications that allows for the use of racing chairs, prosthetics and handcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by cavemuscle View Post
    I read some folks here and elsewhere who seem very bitter and resentful. I guess having 12 step program that tells me that if I’m still breathing and conscious I’ll probably be ok has a lot to do with my attitude.
    Differently abled or however you want to spin it, it will all amount to the same - a disability robs you of certain capabilities that you once had, or, if you were born disabled, that the majority of the population has. Your situation is unique to you and the same goes for each of the 'bitter and resentful' folks you speak of. You are in your fifties. you walk and, if I understand correctly, don't suffer from spinal cord injury but a degenerative disc problem you inherited in the womb right? You weren't plucked from a life of freedom and carefree living, so I am guessing your opinions are nearly always going to differ from say, a twentysomething who has gone from exactly that to being told within a split second that they will not walk again. There are people here whose marriages and relationships have broken down, have lost friends by choice and/or suicide, are holed up in old people's homes before hitting middle age, are up to their eyeball's in debt, suffer from hugely debilitating neuropathic pain, cannot breathe unassisted, have no family or support to speak of - the list goes on and all as a direct result of becoming paralysed. Honestly, how can anyone stand there and judge? None of us have any clue how we would feel or act in anyone else's shoes. I've personally lost 7 friends to SCI now, all in differing ways but all going before their time and, not limited to that fact, would rather die than proclaim that being crippled is almost something one should be envious of!

If anything, many here seem to fall in more with your line of thinking, which would mean that you are therefore questioning why the rest wouldn't agree with you also. I honestly think it's nuts that anyone wouldn't be able to appreciate why a lot of people would be in turmoil after such a horrific life change. If they honestly can't, that person needs to try exercising a little compassion. It would also suggest they probably don't fully understand the implications of a SCI and again, how could they? Every single case is completely unique. As it is, nowhere near enough people are making noise about the indignitites, inconvenience, pain and anguish associated with SCI.

You're not just expressing an opinion here, you are doing it in a way that judges people who are dealing with a terrible injury. Honestly, I cannot wait until treatments start coming down the line so that these kind of threads can become moot! Luckily, those who feel disability enriches their life and that the remainder of those injured are bitter will be more than welcome to opt out and exist in bliss with their inabilities!
    Last edited by Cherry; 01-19-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Duplicated word

there is certainly something to be said for the making the best of whatever you encounter within each moment. a cure, is not what most people will be required to face...at least not today.

...as for 'differently abled'...lol

you can have a positive attitude and still own the fact that something is screwed. after all, it's true for dang near every living human. like beautiful people who are social clods, they aren't 'differently abled'...
    Last edited by kan5a5; 01-20-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kan5a5 View Post
    there is certainly something to be said for the making the best of whatever you encounter within each moment. a cure, is not what most people will be required to face...at least not today.
    There are plenty here making the best of whatever they encounter, that does not mean they are all thankful for the situation or happy to accept it indefinitely. In my eyes, making the best of something is also striving to better it in any which way you can, even if you just prepare your body and mind for treatments to come. Besides, good health and keeping in shape are assets regardless.

I disagree with what you say above. I believe most people reading this will have an effective therapy factored into their future should they wish for it. No it won't be today, but that day will arrive. You talk of a cure like it would be some sort of tribulation. Funny, I feel the same way about living with an SCI!

my take

admire ur optimism...perhaps i shall see that day,for now life sucks for me and i want my old selfish,lust filled overly indulgent,conceded, body building, adrenalin junky, motorcycle riding, self sufficient, 50- 60 hour working, financially stabled, noncathing, continent, nonchilly, pain absent, not as depressing, family supporting, life back.

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    admire ur optimism...perhaps i shall see that day,for now life sucks for me and i want my old selfish,lust filled overly indulgent,conceded, body building, adrenalin junky, motorcycle riding, self sufficient, 50- 60 hour working, financially stabled, noncathing, continent, nonchilly, pain absent, not as depressing, family supporting, life back.

Amen...

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    times 2!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss