Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do people in wheelchairs live longer than normal people?

Do people in wheelchairs live longer than normal people?

I know its a stupid quistion but as quads and para do we live longer or shorter than walking ppls.Off what does most quads die

shorter lives. mainly I think uti and pressure sores, or autonomic dyrsreflexia, suicide.

Shorter from what I heard approximately 10yrs shorter then average.
    Health deterioration most likely the cause.

Statistically, it is common for those with SCI to have a somewhat shortened life-span, and how much varies on by the age at injury, level and completeness of injury. Here are some statistics you can look at related to that. Keep in mind that this is historical data, and averages, so it would be expected that those injured recently would exceed these numbers, esp. if you take care of yourself, get annual check-ups, etc.

For those with SCI, esp. tetraplegia, pulmonary (breathing) problems are the most common cause of death. This is primarily pneumonia and ARDS. Next is sepsis.

We currently have an outpatient who has been injured for 40 years who is 93, so it certainly is not an automatic that you will die young.

I am moving this to the Care forum.

(KLD)

It just seems longer
    Doh!

Have made it 14 years after my car accedent and am 54 years old.
    T6 complete

Do normal people not use wheelchairs?
    Really I get what you are asking. My health has declined severely in 3 years and I am fairly active and eat well. I blame the chair. I would be glad to still be alive at 90 something but I don't see how it is possible.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Statistically, it is common for those with SCI to have a somewhat shortened life-span, and how much varies on by the age at injury, level and completeness of injury. Here are some statistics you can look at related to that. Keep in mind that this is historical data, and averages, so it would be expected that those injured recently would exceed these numbers, esp. if you take care of yourself, get annual check-ups, etc.

For those with SCI, esp. tetraplegia, pulmonary (breathing) problems are the most common cause of death. This is primarily pneumonia and ARDS. Next is sepsis.

We currently have an outpatient who has been injured for 40 years who is 93, so it certainly is not an automatic that you will die young.

I am moving this to the Care forum.

(KLD)
    Thanks for sharing the article. I still find it hard seeing those numbers at times though, C2 injuried at 23.
    And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! 98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed ... Dr. Seuss - Oh, the Places You'll Go!

I don't know any normal people.

93 is old,wonder if i would make it.......