Thread: Question about Indiana pouch and mucous.

Question about Indiana pouch and mucous.

Will there always be mucous production in the indiana pouch since the pouch is made from intestine? Or over time, will the mucous subside?
    Thank you to anyone who can help me with this!!!!!

There will be alot in the beginning and irrigation will be needed, but over time it subsides and is minimal most of the time. Usually takes about a year or two.
    CWO

i dont know what an indiana pouch is but i had bladder augmentation using my bladder and i always have mucus-sometimes it is more than other times but it is always present. also, i thought i had 2 uti's twice in the last year where i had to have shots b/c no pill of antibiotic would work. the culture showed ecoli. i went to my reg. doctor for these cultures. later on i went to my neuro-urologist and mentioned this to him and he said my urine cultures would always show ecoli b/c part of my intestines were used but that that didnt mean that was the infection so the shots were not needed. just an fyi. after 14 years after this surgery that was the 1st i ever heard of that.

I just had a pre-op meeting with my doc (will be having surgery on Jan. 20th). He sad that the mucus will be there but fade as time goes on. The lower intestine automatically makes mucus and over time will stop. He said it kinda has to learn that it is no longer in the digestive tract. And my doc said the samething that summergirl89's docter did. Just because there is bacteria in the cultures doesnt mean you have an infection.

ddgetty-what kind of surgery are you having? i had bladder aug. and even after 14 years i still have mucus. sometimes it is worse than other times and for me has never been a huge problem-just takes a min or two more to cath sometimes but i never quit producing it.

Quote Originally Posted by summergirl89 View Post
    ddgetty-what kind of surgery are you having? i had bladder aug. and even after 14 years i still have mucus. sometimes it is worse than other times and for me has never been a huge problem-just takes a min or two more to cath sometimes but i never quit producing it.
    same here
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Wink

So yes you ladies are right. I shouldnt have said stopped bt that it would produce much less. Sorry my bad