Thread: ileostomy questions for quad

ileostomy questions for quad

How often must you empty the ileostomy pouch each day? How about overnight? Do they make large capacity pouches that will hold a full days amount? I am a high-level quad researching having an ileostomy and have many questions.

I am a para, but can answer some of your q's. Just not how you will handle the clip/opening.

I empty it about 4 times a day, depends a bit on what I eat. You really don;t want to let the bag get too full (1/3 is the rec.). A full bag isometimes stresses the seal, and can lead to a leak . You don't want that.

Is there a medical reason for ileoostomy vs colsostomy? A colostomy would need to be emptied less often. (Mine was)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I called my rehabilitation doctor and he said it would be okay to start with a colostomy and have the ileostomy later if necessary.
    How often do you have to empty the bag if you have a colostomy? Can you go all night without emptying it?
    Do you still take laxatives?
    I have so many questions. Can someone please e-mail me?
    Hos55x@yahoo.com
    thank you
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Hos View Post
    I called my rehabilitation doctor and he said it would be okay to start with a colostomy and have the ileostomy later if necessary.

How often do you have to empty the bag if you have a colostomy?Wayne
    That depends on how much you eat, the type and location of your colostomy, and several other factors.

Can you go all night without emptying it?
    Wayne
    Again, it depends on the type and location. If it is more distal, then you don't need to empty it as often.

Do you still take laxatives?
    Wayne
    Most people do not, but it is common to need to still take stool softeners, and keep up the fiber content of your diet. Your ostomy nurse (CWOCN) should be able to answer many of these questions and should meet with you at least once pre-operatively before you have your surgery.

Is your surgeon experienced in doing these in people with SCI?

(KLD)

Surgeon

Yes, my surgeon has done many ostomies on quadriplegics and paraplegics. Since my colon is enlarged because of nearly 38 years as a quad, he advised that I should go with the ileostomy and remove my colon.
    I do not think he was taking into consideration the fact that I cannot empty the pouch myself and would have to have a caregiver with me virtually all of the time. I do not want to be so dependent on caregivers so I am hoping I can do the colostomy instead as it does not have to be emptied as often.

We rarely have to empty ileostomy bags sooner than every 8 hours.

In the past, I even fashioned a custom ostomy system (with parts from the plumbing section of Home Depot) that allowed the use of a larger drainage tube and connection of the ileostomy appliance to both leg bags and bedside drainage bags.

(KLD)

That's encouraging news.
    So, do you think it is wise for me to start with the colostomy and if things do not come out OK go with the ileostomy?

If he is willing to do a fairly proximal (toward the right side) colostomy it might be worth a try. Of course you are talking two surgeries. Does he think you are a laprascopic procedure candidate?

(KLD)

When he explained the ileostomy surgery, he said it would be a laparoscopic with assistance surgery. He would make an incision in my abdomen to pull out my colon (ugh).
    I'm not sure if a colostomy surgery will be laparoscopic only or with assistance. A quad friend of mine is colostomy was done laparoscopically and he was only in the hospital three days.