Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't want a van!

OK, please excuse my ignorance here...but driving would be a dream - how did you get the car/van/truck?...did you have to buy it yourself? I could not afford a car. Medicare and today's economy barely mix in healthcare. Thank you in advance for your help!

If you can't afford a vehicle, you can't afford a vehicle.

I bought my BMW 318ti off of eBay for $3500. It's a '96, but in quite good condition for the price/age. I had a friend install a used set of MPD hand controls for me.

There are ways. Save a few pennies here & there & you might surprise yourself.

I drive a Mazda 5. It is a mini mini-van. It is basically a Mazda 6 that has sliding second doors.. It gets great gas mileage-around 30 highway. I am a t8 para. I cheat and use a slide board to transfer and I haven't mastered breaking down my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamersWillRide View Post
    OK, please excuse my ignorance here...but driving would be a dream - how did you get the car/van/truck?...did you have to buy it yourself?
    Don't most people have to buy their own vehicle? How does anyone do it? Hard work, support from family, shopping around, scrimping and saving, furthering their education to improve their earning potential... In general, why would that be different for people posting here?

C.

Van

I sold my Honds VTX 1800 to buy a van. Didn't want to sell the mc but wasn't going to be able to sit in this chair and steer at it everyday so it had to go. Also I work full time and get disability from my police officer job.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Thanks people

Thanks for the good info people (except from you Adi, you're annoying but that is nothing new and I still pray for good health for you). I forgot to mention my insurance company is giving me both a rigid quickie and a folding quickie so maybe I'll take the folding chair when I am driving by myself? Hopefully I can find out soon because my skin care doctor still has me laying down from tears in my suture line from when I had a skin and muscle flap from my pressure sore surgery (I just can't win )

P.S. RJP you can still be a police officer like Joe Swanson on Family Guy LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    Don't most people have to buy their own vehicle? How does anyone do it? Hard work, support from family, shopping around, scrimping and saving, furthering their education to improve their earning potential... In general, why would that be different for people posting here?

C.
    I didn't mean to imply that. I was just inquiring to see what channels might exist, and what others might have done after their injury/their income was affected. I understand working and saving...I think about that all of the time...Thank you to others for your experiences/information.

Some people get help through their vocationa rehab programs. In my stae they will buy you a car if you need it to get and keep a job.

nice car gurly

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Some people get help through their vocationa rehab programs. In my stae they will buy you a car if you need it to get and keep a job.
    Cool to know - I'm trying (things are complicated)...thanks! - appreciate the help keeping the fire lit, man it can be stomped out with the swipe of a few words.