Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning from 2 forearm crutches to 1 or 1 cane.

Transitioning from 2 forearm crutches to 1 or 1 cane.

Just stepped in from walking to the local thai restaurant with my sis.

Before we left she helped me stretch out (the kind you just can't do on your own) after that I decided to walk a block to warm up then side step the next block. After side stepping (half block left, half right) I decided to try one crutch. I went about 50 yards, no trip, no fall over, just smooth sailing until my legs got tight enough.

We've both noticed, that after side stepping, I walk A LOT better. This may be because I have very tight adductors which make my legs scissor- I noticed that when I walked with one crutch, my balance was smoother. We talked about it over dinner and think it may be because the side stepping we've been doing has stretched and strengthened the muscles id use for balance. Hips, gluts, adductors, basically the muscles you use when standing up straight wide legged.

Anyways. I am just so freaking happy I was able to use one crutch, and do it without any issues. it was so much easier, no strain, to the point where I had forgotten I had issues with this, as soon as I remember tho, my legs tightened up blah. more proof that a lot of this....really is mental as well.

If you saw my vid last month, you know I had a hard time just walking (with one crutch) in my living room.. I've been adjusting my meds and really doing a lot of side stepping and stair climbing. If you are transitioning as well, you may want to give these a try. I noticed tremendous changes in a short period of time!

CONGRATS Imight you'll have to change that to Iwill. The pool seemed to help me alot as well, sidesteppin' backward. I'm on one myself. Again, Congrats, Good Luck and GOD Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by IMC67 View Post
    CONGRATS Imight you'll have to change that to Iwill. The pool seemed to help me alot as well, sidesteppin' backward. I'm on one myself. Again, Congrats, Good Luck and GOD Bless.
    Not yet, but Im working on it.

The pool was great too, esp when it came to spasticity and endurance. keep working on those side steps and back pedals. They take the most out of you, but seem to be doing me the best. Walking forward ONLY, just won't cut it.

I am happy for you Imight. Now get a cup of hot coffee and try walking with it while using one crutch.... I know you want to !
    It is so nice to make progress.....
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    I am happy for you Imight. Now get a cup of hot coffee and try walking with it while using one crutch.... I know you want to !
    It is so nice to make progress.....
    Jon
    Thanks man. Progress after the year mark really does sneak up on you. It's not as gradual and obvious as it was during my earlier recovery days.
    Crazy how progress just 'appears' without you realizing sometimes.

walking with a cup would be great exercise, I gotta try that lol. First I have to get comfortable walking with one crutch without anyone around. So far I don't have the guts, but I remember last year around this time thinking the same thing with crutches.

good job mark...i admire your work ethic
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Way to go!!

Congratulations!

That is really great progress. You should be really proud.

I can't wait to show your post to my dad - just yesterday he was fantasizing about doing what you just did! It will encourage him to see your progress.

Way to go.

I agree - the coffee in one hand is a great goal.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Congratulations!

That is really great progress. You should be really proud.

I can't wait to show your post to my dad - just yesterday he was fantasizing about doing what you just did! It will encourage him to see your progress.

Way to go.

I agree - the coffee in one hand is a great goal.
    That's great! Tell him to keep at it!

Thanks everyone.

Great job Imight! Very inspiring for me to hear, as I just started doing side and back stepping in PT yesterday. I hope I can emulate you soon
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi