Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did the Disney 5K in my handcycle!

Thumbs up I did the Disney 5K in my handcycle!

5 km isn't that far, but I've never tried that distance and doing the race I think is really going to get me excited about riding a lot more and eventually doing a full marathon.

The race was through Animal Kingdom and there were about 5,000 people in it. It was a little crazy but it was fun and I finished in about a half and hour despite stopping multiple times to change gears, cause I suck at that right now.

Are there quads out there that have suggestions for changing gears quickly and easily?

Here's a link to some pictures they took:
    http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_e...&PWD=&BIB=3023
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Very cool! Nice photos.

I think aiming for the full marathon is good motivation.

Sorry, no suggestions on the shifting thing, since I am not a quad.

Right on dude!!

AWESOME! your a stud

great stuff man
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Congrats big man! every time one of us succeeds, it proves to the world we are NOT disposable or broken!

Have you joined the Handcycling group on Yahoo? It's the official forum for the US Handcycling Federation. Tons of advice there from the top guns like Criag Blanchettte, Alejandro Albor, and Seth Arseneau.

yours in speed

Brock
    Last edited by cavemuscle; 01-13-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added more info

Quote Originally Posted by cavemuscle View Post
    Congrats big man! every time one of us succeeds, it proves to the world we are NOT disposable or broken!

Have you joined the Handcycling group on Yahoo? It's the official forum for the US Handcycling Federation. Tons of advice there from the top guns like Criag Blanchettte, Alejandro Albor, and Seth Arseneau.

yours in speed

Brock
    I'm trying to join this group (or at least one handcycling group on Yahoo), but my request is still pending. This has been for about 3 wks now. Do you know who the administrator is on that group?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    I'm trying to join this group (or at least one handcycling group on Yahoo), but my request is still pending. This has been for about 3 wks now. Do you know who the administrator is on that group?
    I'll drop a line to him, but not sure if will do any good. He's also administrator of the USHF website so you can reach him thru there too.

B

Quote Originally Posted by cavemuscle View Post

yours in speed

Brock
    Thanks man I'll check that out. Here in NJ it's hard to train now with the weather, but I want to get my bike tuned up a little bit and be ready for the spring. Also, living in a town with tons of hills makes it hard but I'll figure it out.

I literally did no training on my actual bike for this so I'm interested to see what I can do with a regular program. I play rugby and work out regularly but I know it's not the same as putting the miles in.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by divin'darren View Post
    Thanks man I'll check that out. Here in NJ it's hard to train now with the weather, but I want to get my bike tuned up a little bit and be ready for the spring. Also, living in a town with tons of hills makes it hard but I'll figure it out.

I literally did no training on my actual bike for this so I'm interested to see what I can do with a regular program. I play rugby and work out regularly but I know it's not the same as putting the miles in.
    Check out the indoor trainers. I just bought one for my FHR-1 and it works great. I got mine thru Nashbar.com, a bicycle website.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.