Page 102 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1064

Thread: Last Movie You Watched?

"Gravity" It was definitely exciting...but lacked in the technical accuracy

Finally watched Before Midnight (starring Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy). I've been waiting for 9 years for it to be made since watching Before Sunset and I waited 9 years to watch it after watching Before Sunrise. Midnight did not disappoint, but it did leave me longing for more. Maybe in another 9 years. lol
    I highly recommend them all and start with Before Sunrise (1995) then Before Sunset (2004) and then Before Midnight (2013)... By the way, they are man friendly chick-ish flicks. :)

Went to see All is Lost which has only one actor...Robert Redford. He has perhaps 3 lines in this movie other than a voice over in the first scene. I thought he did a great job, and as a sailor I appreciated both the mistakes his character made and his resourcefulness. It is not always the easiest movie to watch. The film was well done, although there was one scene where I was very aware of the green screen, and it could have been much better done. A film to talk about with friends or family and that makes you wonder about your own strengths. I recommend it.

(KLD)

Got to see a sneak preview of The Book Thief this week. I was worried about this film as I loved the book, but I think they did a pretty good job. The story of course is about a young girl who is taken in by a foster family in the early days of WWII in Germany, and the development of her relationship with them and other people in their town and neighborhood, as well as the secrets they have in harboring a Jew in their basement.

I am not a big Emily Watson fan (who plays Rosa), but she was good, and I loved Geoffrey Rush (who was perfectly cast as Hans). The young girl (Sophie Nelisse) who played the lead role was amazing. She is Canadian and apparently is also a gymnast who is trying to make her country's Olympic team.

I would recommend this film for adults and mature pre-teens. It is not a movie for children.

(KLD)

Got to see a sneak this week of Nebraska, which is a new feature film staring Bruce Dern. He was amazing in this film. He plays an old man on the edges of senility who gets one of those "You have already won $1 million" junk mailings and believes that he actually has won, and must go from his home in Montana to the offices of the company in Omaha, Nebraska to claim his prize. After trying several times to walk it himself, he gets his son (Will Forte) to drive him on a road trip, much to the consternation of the Dern character's wife (June Squibb, who is hilarious). You meet his other family members, and some characters from his original home town on the trip. Beautifully filmed in black and white. It will be releasing soon commercially (limited) to qualify for Oscar consideration. I recommend this one.

(KLD)

Rented Rush from Nextflix. For a trailer see: http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/rush/
    Two-time Academy Award?-winner Ron Howard delivers the exhilarating true story of a legendary rivalry that rocked the world. During the sexy and glamorous golden age of Formula 1 racing, two drivers emerged as the best: gifted English playboy James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth, The Avengers) and his methodical, brilliant Austrian opponent, Niki Lauda (Daniel Br?hl, Inglourious Basterds). As they mercilessly clash on and off the Grand Prix racetrack, the two drivers push themselves to the breaking point of physical and psychological endurance, where there's no shortcut to victory and no margin for error. Co-starring Olivia Wilde (TRON: Legacy), it's the heart-racing, epic, action-drama that critics are calling "one of the best movies of this, or any, year" (Pete Hammond, Movieline).

Excellent movie! Especially good if you like Formula 1 racing!

Got to see the movie version of The Keeper of Lost Causes, a Danish film based on the popular book of the same name, part of the Department Q series of mystery/thrillers. I have not yet read any of the books, but plan to do so after seeing the film. Not sure how the Scandinavians have a lock on dark film noir type psychopathic killer stories, but this has a lot in common with the Swedish Stieg Larsson books & films (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) and the Harry Hole novels (Norway). I enjoyed the film in spite of a lot of violence and gore, and thought it was very well crafted. Sorry to say, there has not yet been an American distributor who has picked this film up, so it is unlikely to be shown in the USA outside of the film festival circuit. Hopefully it will eventually go to DVD and be available on Netflix or Amazon.

(KLD)

Watched Passion Fish again this week on TV. I still like this as one of my favorite films depicting SCI.

Today I went to see Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaquil Le Clercq which is a new documentary about the famous ballet star of the 1940s and 1950s whom everyone called "Tanny". What a talented and gorgeous dancer!!! She was married to George Balanchine and very close to Jerome Robbins. At the height of her career, at age 27, and while touring in Europe, she contracted polio and never walked again, although she lived to be 71 years old. She later taught dance at the Dance Theater of Harlem. There are many film clips of her dancing, and a lot more still photos of her, many taken by Balanchine after she became disabled. I would recommend this film.

Last movie I saw was a not bad jason statham film, cant remember the name of it though. Anyway the movie that last made an impression on me was The Councillor starring the awesome Michael Fassbender, with Pitt, Badem, Pen Cruz and the insanely hot Cameron Diaz. Also worth mentioning, mainly for her stunning frame poured into a very tight white short dress, is the UK actress from Elementary (Moriarty) who plays a hired seductress to draw Pitt's character into a deadly situation...spoiler...Pitt dies gruesomely!

The Councillor was a book by Cormack McCarthy about a lawyer who decides to actively move into the dark criminal world of his clients where he finds out that the criminal world is way worse than anything he could ever have imagined. It's dark but sexy, not a bad movie. It got panned out here as cynical and a bit old hat but I liked it, the fact a great writer came up with it is a draw for me.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

ANOTHER WOMAN !!! Hilarious.