Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It All Adds Up!

Well the day went well and so did the test but of course we won't have the results until it passes through about a half a dozen peoples hands so we won't know the results for a few days maybe a week. The hospital we had to go to has been recently reno'd and added on to so everything was so nice and new and clean looking ..... the nursing staff was very congenial and made such a fuss over Bill .... he eats that stuff up .... but then in his hayday he was quite the charmer .... its the last thing to go I've been told .....

I wonder if any of you spouses ever find yourself feeling like this ..... I get so caught up in living I forget how isolated we are in our day to day life with sci until we have to do something thats out of the norm and involves other people .. like going for this scan for example .... suddenly its not all about me and my influence ... there are actually people trained to help and be involved in Bill's life and want to be there for him .. and for just a brief moment I can relax .... and allow someone else to step up and take over .... while it makes me a little apprehensive at first ... at the same time it makes me realize I'm not in this all by myself ... there is help out there and people really do have a vested interest in wanting us to succeed and be healthy and safe. It was like a tonic ..... I don't know if I'm explaining myself too well but it really hit me as we went through the motions of the day ...... and finally brought me to tears a few times ........

I guess I didn't realize how intense these last few months have been tending to this pressure sore and worrying ..... just getting out of the house, getting in the car and drivng the hour and a half to get where we were going ...... talking about other things, like the scenery as it passed, listening to the radio, arguing politics a little ... it was sort of nice .... it was that little gift I refer to that the rest of the world hasn't twigged on to yet ...... relishing the simplest pleasures.... being in the moment..... and it doesn't have to cost a dime.

Peace everyone .... you have no idea what your support means to me ..... I'll let you know ... as soon as we know .... anything .... thankyou!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I thought I would add for those who don't know or are curious ..... a bone scan is an exray that looks deep into your bones .... first you are given an injection of radioactive juice ..... wait 2 hours for it to flow through your system .... then you lie down on a table and the exray gadget thingee slowly scans the length of your entire body from top to toe and back again .. it takes about an hour and a half .... if you're claustophrobic they will put a cloth over your eyes (because the exray gadget thingee runs very close to your face) ..... they did that for Bill .... he fell asleep ....

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 01-20-2009 at 10:26 AM.

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Sending some healing energy and support to you both.

I just posted this over in the Care forum as well ....... we got the results from the scan back and ..... yeaaaa no pseudomonas ... but..... booo ... we have to go back for another test to locate exactly where the infection is originating from. This will be an overnighter for us because its a 2 day affair. On day one they draw the blood - spin out the white cells - re-inject them and then on day two the scan is done again and they will be able to pinpoint exactly where the infection is coming from.

I can't say I'm not worried but I am so relieved we are finally getting to the bottom of this ..... my suspicion its coming from Bill's belly. He still has a spot open from his gall bladder surgery from 3 years ago ..... the incision eventually did close but the mesh they used to do a hernia repair keeps migrating up and out so the incision breaks open every so often so the mesh can escape ! And its very close to his ileostomy ..... seems like a logical presumption to me. I guess we'll know for sure next week.

On the up side we get to stay in a hotel room ....... with nothing to do for a number of hours ..... yea ... right .... oh well .... no beds to make and no cooking .... me likey that!! The saga continues .........

Obieone

Jane Siberry

And so we're back home again from having the white blood cell test thingee .... I guess we'll know in a day or two what the results are. The staff at the lab we're really efficient and very kind to Bill so it made everything easier and just a little more tolerable.

A little observation to share ..... every time someone approached Bill they automatically went to push him without even asking him and there were a number of other little nuances that occurred throughout the day like that ... assumptions made without even asking first ..... I guess I just forgot how people behave around someone in a chair .... even in a hospital ... and even in this day and age .... it still really seems to make some very uncomfortable ....

On the other end I guess I forget just how comfortable we've both become with so many things that have become second nature to us ... I know because of the looks we got as we entered a room and went through the motions ..... waiting rooms are especially interesting places to observe and be observed .....
    I think we need to get out more .... keep you posted.

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 01-30-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Jane Siberry

I think the wait has got to be hell Obie...and I can relate to needing to get out more...I'm glad you got to spend the nite at the hotel and not have to cook! Sending strength and healing hugs. Stay warm and safe...